GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are there really no full synthetic vw508 oils?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, most Blackstone reports I've seen posted point toward the same thing. Seems like even with a tune, if you get a good quality oil, 7.5k per change could be in the cards.
I still change mine early because of driving hard with higher power. I can't actually say that I've ever seen a bad Blackstone report.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah, most Blackstone reports I've seen posted point toward the same thing. Seems like even with a tune, if you get a good quality oil, 7.5k per change could be in the cards.

I just get an auto delivery from Amazon of the Leichtlauf High Tech every 6 months and change the oil then. Sometimes more or less mileage on it.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I still change mine early because of driving hard with higher power. I can't actually say that I've ever seen a bad Blackstone report.
Don't think you'll really see a bad one unless something is off with the car. They work best as a data catalog that you can look over to build a baseline from to dial in intervals.
I just get an auto delivery from Amazon of the Leichtlauf High Tech every 6 months and change the oil then. Sometimes more or less mileage on it.

Fair, though if you drive 15K a month that might get kinda sticky, though for most that'd be good. Think i'll give the L.H.T. a try next go around. Going to put in Molygen next change as I plan on swapping to a steel oil pan and figured it might help ID any leaks from the install or otherwise I come across.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The reason you don't see any Blackstone reports that show oil that is spent s b/c folks that do used oil testing aren't abusing their cars and pushing oil way out to/past it's useful life. If you could pull an oil sample from all the cars in the local Walmart parking lot and have them analyzed...holy crap would you see some SPENT oil.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Pushed mine to 9K easily tuned and when I put the IS20 on, was beating on it with no drama in my UOA. That was a while ago and have settled in around 6K per all the reports/data analysis I've done. This is Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 with Ceratec. I've seen 10K changes on tuned GTIs that looked fine. My wear metals are all single digit at this point.
OilReports-page-001.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Adam....thanks for posting that....been considering sending mine out, but don't need to after seeing that!

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
But that's his engine.
Very true, but he beats the crap out of his engine. I understand every engine/turbo behaves differently, so I don't think it equals mine....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Very true, but he beats the crap out of his engine. I understand every engine/turbo behaves differently, so I don't think it equals mine....
I'm quite sure yours is just fine. What is your change interval? What oil do you use? Here are my wear metal, TBN, and viscosity data from UOAs since new. Oil has been 4xLiquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 (used Ceratec [~20K] and MoS2 [~30k]each once) and 3x Liquimoly Molygen 5W40. Current fill is Mobil 1 0W40. I've used the Liquimoly Engine Flush 3x. TBN = total base number and this gives an indication of how much additive is left, shouldn't be too low/less than 1; VW502 00 oils are full SAPS and will have a starting TBN of around 10 so you lose about 50% of it. Viscosity is my primary concern with running it too long; as you can see, there is always a sharp initial drop to a 30W but then it comes back up out on the end of the longer runs b/c of oxidation - that's why I've settled on 6K for my changes.
Capture.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I use this
It's decent oil and somewhat of the standard VW502 00 for lots of VWs. Mobil 1 0W40 has better high temp/high shear and a lower NOAK number due to a more true synthetic base stock (more group 4 PAO in the blend to get that 0-40 viscosity range) but honestly, it really doesn't matter. I'm using M1 for a few changes this year to see how my data look. I will say however that my viscosity drop was higher with Molygen showing it's not as good to me as the LLHT. Molygen has the tungsten-based frition modifier but you can add some Ceratec/MoS2 to whatever you use for a little more slipy slip.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
It's decent oil and somewhat of the standard VW502 00 for lots of VWs. Mobil 1 0W40 has better high temp/high shear and a lower NOAK number due to a more true synthetic base stock (more group 4 PAO in the blend to get that 0-40 viscosity range) but honestly, it really doesn't matter. I'm using M1 for a few changes this year to see how my data look. I will say however that my viscosity drop was higher with Molygen showing it's not as good to me as the LLHT. Molygen has the tungsten-based frition modifier but you can add some Ceratec/MoS2 to whatever you use for a little more slipy slip.
I've used M1 0W-40 as well. So Molygen has more friction modifier, but viscosity breakdown was worse. Not sure that's a good trade-off