GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB2 Infotainment Conversion into 2018 "S" Models

PhillyAlltrack

Car(s)
2019 Alltrack
Hey Philly, Did you do a full 6.5inch to 8inch conversion? Or just installed the Helix system?
Did the full 6.5 to 8 conversion and everything worked fine. Added the Helix yesterday and lost Apple CarPlay. I repinned the helix harness at the stock location, not at the head unit in the glovebox.

GHO5T7

Car(s)
2018 GTI S /MT
Well if you did the complete retrofit, you still need to get it programmed? Have you done that?

PhillyAlltrack

Car(s)
2019 Alltrack
Well if you did the complete retrofit, you still need to get it programmed? Have you done that?
I got the kit from Peterdna@instagram and everything was already coded. I had the retrofit system in the car for about a month and everything was working perfectly. Added the Helix and I get the following message when I try to connect my phone
2FA235EC-5B74-4A2C-9A94-903DEEDC6631.jpeg

I’ve tried resetting all the appropriate things both in the car & phone. Tried different wires and every adjustment advised by apple and still nada.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You might want to double check if all pins are properly seated at the green plug in your quadlock-adapter harness in the stock location. The HSD-wire from stock location to glovebox is my second guess.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Did the full 6.5 to 8 conversion and everything worked fine. Added the Helix yesterday and lost Apple CarPlay. I repinned the helix harness at the stock location, not at the head unit in the glovebox.
First off, congrats on the install. I'm glad my DIY helped to motivate you. Is it possible that the yellow connector in the back of the MIB2 unit came unplugged?

PhillyAlltrack

Car(s)
2019 Alltrack
Thanks guys. I checked the connection at the head unit and all good there. I’m gonna pull apart the dash again when I get a minute. I scanned the system with OBDELEVEN and got what might be the problem. Multimedia and Gateway both show CP errors. It’s possible I somehow reactivated CP

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks guys. I checked the connection at the head unit and all good there. I’m gonna pull apart the dash again when I get a minute. I scanned the system with OBDELEVEN and got what might be the problem. Multimedia and Gateway both show CP errors. It’s possible I somehow reactivated CP
Those are probably "leftovers" from before you had the CP removal service performed. If you were currently in CP, your volume would not work and there would be a "Component Protection" message on the screen. Who knows though.....keep us posted.

FWIW: I have Helix in mine, although I did the Helix before the MIB2.

Last edited:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
Putting together my kit for this swap into my 19 Rabbit. New screen and bezel, non-nav glovebox from wrecked gti SE with the build date 08/18.

was wondering if anyone has simply spliced in lengths of wire between the black plug at the dash unit, so it’ll reach the new glovebox unit?

dev48

Car(s)
golf mk7.5
hi thanks your post. i think the content of links changed in time so i want to ask. is this cable set is enough for none-nav head units(3q0 035 840b)?

dev48

Car(s)
golf mk7.5
i do not understand do we really need the "2. A Quadlock Adapter Plug Extension Harness," because we already have long Quadlock plug in the first harness kit(see above) ?? thanks

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
i do not understand do we really need the "2. A Quadlock Adapter Plug Extension Harness," because we already have long Quadlock plug in the first harness kit(see above) ?? thanks
Yes you do, because that "kit" is missing a portion of the harness that needs to be extended.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Checking in. My retrofit has been operating at 100% going on two years now :)

Had anyone figured out if there is a way to convert the media in USB / AUX port to a two USB C (illuminated) unit? It kills me that you can only plug in one USB device at a time. Doesn't the Tiguan have two USB or two USB C ports?