GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Firestone Winterforce 2 vs Vredestein Wintrac Pro ($175 more, worth the diff?)

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Hey guys, I just got a MK7.5 Golf R (2018) - my first actual VW. I previously ran whatever winter tires I could get my hands on for my previous cars, but this time, I kind of narrowed it down to these two as their price difference is some what significant so I'm just wondering if it's worth the extra guac. I live in NYC btw but I go snowboarding in the mountains sometimes - so mostly plowed, wet cold roads but occasional snow (packed and not).

I'm looking at a new set of Firestone Winterforce 2 for $530 (set of 4) or the performance winters Vredestein Wintrac Pro for $705 (set of 4).

Also - Tire rack says it's 225/40R18 for 18" wheels on the R but I was wondering if 235/40 would be better for slightly more wheel protection against curbs (also, the 225/40R18 on 8" wheels looks like it's kinda stretched a bit).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
I'm running 225/40/18 Michelin PA4's in west Michigan (lake effect snow). If I were to do it again, I would buy a standard winter tire not a performance winter tire. The performance winter tire is nice when it's dry but it's still a WINTER performance tire and winter plus performance isn't really performance...if that make sense. I slip around much more than I want during snow storms. My wife has Nokian Hakkepeliitta R3's on her Passat and drives through anything, much more grip.
If I were shopping now for winter tires I would get the new Continental Viking, or the new Michelin X-Snow. Premium snow tires will last you longer than mid-grade. But! With all that said, ANY snow tire will out perform an all season, so the Firestone Winterforce should be a great tire especially in your case...I don't know how far you drive but my wife gets about 3-4 winters out of her Nokian's @ 70-80 miles a day. Food for thought.

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I've been using Falken EuroWinter HS449 for 3 years now.. Set is around 400.00 now.

This is what I run they're great. I have had winter tires on all my cars for years, from my Evo X to a Toyota Sienna. Considering the cheapest winter tires are light years ahead of even the best stupid all season, even going low is a huge upgrade. I'd save your money and get the Firestones. Or the Falkens.

Last edited: