GOLFMKV

Who has/had COVID?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I work in a hospital & have dealt with pretty much everyone that had COVID (or thought they did) that came thru the doors.

I had it in the middle of November, but didn't get it from work ironically. :rolleyes:
Me and my 2 year old little boy were the ones that tested positive in our family. (the wife & 2 daughters were negative)
Although the little guy never showed any symptoms or issues or anything.

I had a mid grade fever (never went over 100 F).
The worst part was the sweats, and being cold & then hot.
And the body aches sucked too.
That all lasted like 4 days and then I was fine.
Never lost my taste or smell or anything though.

The whole family quarantined and my wife ended up losing her sense of taste/smell and had a mild fever a week after me, so we're assuming she had it too although she never went back & got tested to confirm since it didn't matter at the point.

Having 2 weeks off, paid, was kind of nice.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
A new study released last week says you'll be immune for years. Avoid the vaccine...
Should not consider the "study" as likely. This is all too new for anyone to conclude you will be immune for years, especially considering the virus is mutating. Also I am going to get vaccinated as soon as it is available. While this virus like other viruses is hardest on older folks or folks with underlying health issues ( the weakest ) just had someone in my sphere pass that was an athletic father of 5 who was 44. Getting the population vaccinated is crucial to stopping the life of the virus or it will stay with us and continue to mutate and folks, even those that have encountered this strain will be getting sick all over again on the new mutated strain and it might be worse. We got rid of polio and smallpox through vaccination and we can do the same here but not if folks are telling people not to get vaccinated.

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
So sort of a sidebar, if there's no plan of rolling back mask wearing and all the other restrictions, what's the benefit of risking these wonky side effects I keep hearing about? And we still have no idea what the long term effects of the vaccine are. I hate sounding like an anti-vaxxer, which I'm not, but it just seems like the risks aren't worth it. Maybe I should get the vaccine while I'm still in the Army so I can claim 100% disability when it gives me some sort of wonky health defect.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So sort of a sidebar, if there's no plan of rolling back mask wearing and all the other restrictions, what's the benefit of risking these wonky side effects I keep hearing about? And we still have no idea what the long term effects of the vaccine are. I hate sounding like an anti-vaxxer, which I'm not, but it just seems like the risks aren't worth it. Maybe I should get the vaccine while I'm still in the Army so I can claim 100% disability when it gives me some sort of wonky health defect.

I think that is a question you see asked a lot. Also I would implore folks to carefully consider where they are getting their medical information. Don't accept what you see on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube as credible news without doing your homework and checking in with other sites like FDA, John Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, CDC, Stanford Medical, and yes even the sites such as the manufacturers of the vaccine to see how it all matches up. Social Media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and the like, in general are at best a huge rumor mill and at worst a terrible propaganda machine that is being used to divide folks and fill them with doubt. My job for a number of years was in IT security and a number of us watched as Facebook adoption took off as the Internet speeds were increasing. We all knew the dangers of universal adoption of a communication product that allowed anything to be said by anybody in the world anonymously.

The risk for Covid vaccinations is currently almost none except for folks that are hyperallergic and carry epipens. You are likely to get fever after vaccine as your body develops antibodies but that is about it, maybe soreness at sight of injection.

So getting the virus ranges from mild illness to death with no idea yet if there may be long term issues even if you have mild symptoms and recover easily. On the other side if you get vaccinated, maybe you have a bit of discomfort but it will protect you from getting the virus at a level of about 95% for vaccines currently being distributed.

So the benefit for you is that you likely won't get the virus if you are vaccinated and as an added bonus you won't get sick and spread the virus to others who will suffer anything from mild illness to death.

The overall benefit to everyone, if we get vaccinated is that we can eventually stomp out the virus and eventually get back to normal. However, we ALL have to be behind the effort for it to work otherwise it just will never be over if we can't get most of the population vaccinated.

This is of course just my opinion, go out and do your own information gathering from reliable sources.

Note - I received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Feb 11 and have not had any side effects. Second dose on or around Mar 3.
How did I get vaccinated so early - because I am that old. Also 5 other close relatives have received their first doses, some Moderna, some Pfizer and no side effects. They folks at the vaccination site indicated I might have some mild side effects with second dose.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Family just came down with covid. Yay. I wonder if my Army anthrax vaccine will help at all lol
💯

That's exactly how it works. Bacteria and viruses are the same thing. Get a zpak, it's all good.

/s

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I'm not sure what 'tex turn means but how dare you deny us your posts in the SCAMdemic.

Sorry bout the virus though, hope everyone shakes it off quick.
haha....I can post there too, but I looked at recent posts and it wasn't covid related so I thought it had morphed into just a random black hole

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
haha....I can post there too, but I looked at recent posts and it wasn't covid related so I thought it had morphed into just a random black hole
It's both. Definitely both.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I have not, but one of my best friends has. He's 42 and it kicked his ass; he's in decent shape, had it in August and to this day gets winded when climbing the stairs in his house.