GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercoolers: when to upgrade?

SHABAZZ X

Passed Driver's Ed
Most aftermarket software beyond stage 1 seems to require or at least “highly recommend” an upgraded inter cooler. However, from what I’ve read and seen online, the factory intercooler on the R is pretty beefy already. It seems to me that if you plan to track your car it would make sense to upgrade, but for us folks who don’t track our cars is it really all that necessary?

My R is a fun street car, and beyond the occasional highway pulls and spirited mountain driving I don’t really push it to its limits. Can I get away with stage 2 without the intercooler upgrade?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Most aftermarket software beyond stage 1 seems to require or at least “highly recommend” an upgraded inter cooler. However, from what I’ve read and seen online, the factory intercooler on the R is pretty beefy already. It seems to me that if you plan to track your car it would make sense to upgrade, but for us folks who don’t track our cars is it really all that necessary?

My R is a fun street car, and beyond the occasional highway pulls and spirited mountain driving I don’t really push it to its limits. Can I get away with stage 2 without the intercooler upgrade?

Sure it will run fine, it would of course run better under certain circumstances where a better flowing intercooler would make a difference. Drive it without upgrading the intercooler for a while, you can always do it in the future.

Robrich23

I’ve been APR 2+ for over a year without an intercooler upgrade. Having said that, I just installed a MaboTech front mount twincooler and my IAT’s are much better and more consistent after back to back pulls and spirited driving.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Part of it is climate related as well, do you live in FL where it's 90% humidity?

But yes, if you're not tracking it you are unlikely to get into serious heatsoak which is really the main concern. I mean, sure, no matter what even on a stock tune you could lower IATs and therefore get more power. But by that same token you should go K04 or Stg3 because if you replace the turbo you can make more power. lol

As GIACUser said, drive it and see if you feel like you need it. If you get heatsoak then you can start planning for an upgraded intercooler. If you don't you just have to decide if the extra power is worth the cost to you or if other mods or life expenses are more important.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
It made a difference on my car with stage 1 with lower IAT, less timing pull, and holding boost all the way to redline.

I'm not saying you strictly need to do it, but if you're at any stage of modification you're leaving a lot on the table if you don't.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Tune it and get an intercooler later. Not needed right away IMO.

SHABAZZ X

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ll likely feel it out without the IC and plan to upgrade later. It does get a bit humid in the summertime where I live, although not Florida levels.