GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Tune Comparison Help

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
Hey guys, so I am looking to get a DSG tune for my car in the not to distant future. Has anyone here gotten a DSG tune for their vehicle, and how do you feel about it? My car is APR K04. I'm looking forward to what you all have to say!

**EDIT** I figured maybe I should add a little info for what I am looking for. In "D", my car is "racing to 6th gear". I mean, by the time I'm going 25 mph, this thing is in 6th gear. Because of this, I typically drive in Manual mode, rarely in Sport. In "D", I am concerned about my rods since it will shift while boosting early in the RPMs. This isn't the only reason I'm considering a DSG tune, but it is on the top of the list. What other improvements did you guys see with your DSG tunes? What brand did you use?

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Well first....try yours in 'S' mode...it will up and down shift at higher revs when not at full throttle.
These do shift at early revs in 'D'...even with a DSG file.
The difference with a GIAC DSG file is:
1) higher launch rev to 3700 rpm
2) supposedly, in 'S' it will down-shift at a lower rev to keep it in the selected gear
3) redline is raised to 6900 rpm
4) shifts are faster and revs are matched more closely when downshifting
5) the torque limit is increased

I got it for the higher launch and redline revs, and for the increase of its torque limit. I didn't really notice the quicker shifts but I really hadn't payed attention prior to getting the DSG file. When I dyno'd mine it put out 363 lb*ft. Even with the DSG file, I always drive it in Manual Tiptronic mode...except for this last year. I have been driving it in 'D' and with a light throttle for prolonging the turbo which is causing exhaust smoke under moderate throttle now. New turbo coming next year.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I have the Unitronic DSG tune. The one I had on my last gearbox would not shift to 6th gear until ~50mph in D and S mode felt like a race car with very fast shift points. With the replacement gearbox and reflash, D feels more stock, but it definitely doesn't race to 6th quite as fast. I actually prefer it over the first tune as it's better on fuel economy.

What really matters is the change in clutch pressure to coincide with the increased torque from the K04 and shift points. I don't think APR makes DSG software for the early (gen1?) DSG gearboxes that were paired to the FSI.

Last edited:

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
I have tried "S" mode. It just shifts too high in the RPMs for driving around town. I definitely prefer "M" over "S". So I wonder if even with a DSG tune, I might still enjoy "M" the most, but with the added benefit of increased torque limit, and increased shift speed and clutch clamping pressure. I've never used launch control as I just don't have a need with my type of driving, plus it's just really had on the drivetrain.

So it sounds like Unitronic had an update to their software for some reason that changed the "D" mode to be more conservative.

You are correct, APR doesn't have a flash for the early DSG boxes like mine.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I remember early Unitronic DSG file users not happy with the 'D' mode becoming a bit like 'S' mode...and yes, probably why they changed it.

Yes, APR has none...and this is the issue because others won't do a DSG file if engine tuning is by another tuner. So you will need to swap engine tuning to the same doing the DSG file. :confused:

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I remember early Unitronic DSG file users not happy with the 'D' mode becoming a bit like 'S' mode...and yes, probably why they changed it.

Yes, APR has none...and this is the issue because others won't do a DSG file if engine tuning is by another tuner. So you will need to swap engine tuning to the same doing the DSG file. :confused:

Their old DSG file kept you in the meat of the power band which was really nice, but for a street car it didn't really make sense for D to be that way all the time.

As for matching ECM and TCM tunes, can always call around to see what they're willing to do. United Motorsports might be your best chance at just getting a DSG tune.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hey guys, so I am looking to get a DSG tune for my car in the not to distant future. Has anyone here gotten a DSG tune for their vehicle, and how do you feel about it? My car is APR K04. I'm looking forward to what you all have to say!

**EDIT** I figured maybe I should add a little info for what I am looking for. In "D", my car is "racing to 6th gear". I mean, by the time I'm going 25 mph, this thing is in 6th gear. Because of this, I typically drive in Manual mode, rarely in Sport. In "D", I am concerned about my rods since it will shift while boosting early in the RPMs. This isn't the only reason I'm considering a DSG tune, but it is on the top of the list. What other improvements did you guys see with your DSG tunes? What brand did you use?

I have run GIAC and Unitronic DSG Stg 2 and Stg3 tunes with my K04 setup, all really felt like the D mode was set for power curve of a K03, which makes you feel like under light throttle it is shifting too early. If you have big interest in getting D mode to act a certain way, probably best to get a custom DSG tune otherwise live with it and just go M mode when you want to do more than cruise along.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
↑↑↑ yes. My GIAC DSG file in 'D' is pretty much the same as it was originally. With light throttle it shifts early. Pretty much why I have driven it in manual mode all these years. But I've been driving it in 'D' since May this year when I had issues trying the LPFP upgrade. During test drives it backfired a few times and seemed to ruin the turbo bearings. It was boosting over 30 psi while suffering from low fuel pressure(1.2 bar) from the two new LPFPs I tried. This made it begin smoking from the exhaust under mid to full throttle.

TSMILEY

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'08 GTi
Thank you both @ROH ECHT and @GIACUser for this insight. I will just continue to drive in M as D makes me fear of bent rods. So, since I drive in M mode, and will continue to do so, would you say a DSG tune would still be of benefit to me? I seems that most of the DSG tunes do see to make their improvements geared towards using either "S" or "M". Also, do you like the way your tune performs?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I like the tune for the higher launch rpm(for when I did a bit of 1/4m days)__higher redline rpm__and increased clutch pack pressure/torque limit removed-raised. I too drive mine always in 'M' & Tiptronic. It just seems wrong to drive it like I have been this year, in 'D', to save or extend the duty of the turbo. Do I recommend it? I would say yes for a K04 or more. I would even suggest calling GIAC and speaking with Andrew about torque limiter and what was done for the clutch pressure with a K04 file. Although, most shelf tunes are done with the limit on torque in mind. Not sure how mine pulled a 363 lb*ft on the dyno...I did the dyno with MS-109 race fuel, GIAC High Output K04 file, and the GIAC (6900 rpm) DSG file.