GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Climatronic upgrade with instructions and pictures.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I noticed the AliExpress variant has 'Clean Air' button on the right. Not sure what it does, but just so you know - when it comes from factory it comes with a 'Max A/C' button. Very useful for hot countries like mine (Israel).

Sets temperature to lowest setting and turns on fan to max.

View attachment 196353

Will someone who has installed a China VW climatic unit describe what "clean air" setting does. My hopes are that it functions like Max A/C.

Genuine used parts >>>>> AliExpress fakes :).

Has anyone who actual owns the AliExpree believe the climatic control unit to be a fake or a VW China model? I have purchased a few VW part numbers off of Aliexpress and those items appear to be genuine VW china production.

davegsm82

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf and T3 Tdi
Will someone who has installed a China VW climatic unit describe what "clean air" setting does. My hopes are that it functions like Max A/C.

Has anyone who actual owns the AliExpree believe the climatic control unit to be a fake or a VW China model? I have purchased a few VW part numbers off of Aliexpress and those items appear to be genuine VW china production.

I'm fairly sure they are genuine VW units, just made for the aisa market. I wouldn't say the quality is really any worse, if anything (and I'm being picky) I would have to say that the dials feel slightly more scratchy on rotation and the plastics on the rear perhaps aren't as good quality, but the outward appearance and operation seem spot on. LCD's are equally as sharp and bright, LED's all light up the same colour and brightness etc. I've since fitted a different, used unit from a MK7 GTi that I got cheap, but that's purely because I found out I'd been scammed on a VCDS cable and it wouldn't work properly with the AliExpress one, nothing to do with the panel, just the old version of cable I'd massively overpaid some d*ckhead for is a Europe version.

I can't comment on the operation of the clean air button I'm afraid, because I don't have that panel fitted at the minute. But from what I gather the clean air system reads the air quality status from a sensor on the outside of the pollen filter. What it does with that information I don't know, but what I do know is that when you get your panel you need to go into the coding with VCDS and turn off/deactivate the Air quality sensor and both the inside and outside condensation sensors, otherwise your Start-Stop won't work and it will run the compressor more than it shoud, as it assumes the windscreen could fog up so plays it safe. You should also change the panel from it's default LHD to RHD if you're in the UK or other countries where we drive on the left. Otherwise the primary temperature knob is the left one, so when you adjust the right it will try to move flaps that just aren't there and you'll need to press the 'sync' button again.

Dave.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Fraysa had a semi-bad experience with a PDC harness/sensors, he is now a lobbyist for the party that argues that everything from Ali-express is fake :ROFLMAO:. He does not however differentiate between fake and other-market OEM.

@Fraysa I'm just poking fun, I do appreciate that there may sometimes be differences in quality between OEM parts in different markets. My power folding mirror switch, ordered from e-acca, feels better than the one that came in the package with my mirrors, from Ali-Express. I just wouldn't argue that it's fake... and plenty of people have had the same kit installed (for years at this point) with no issues.

Amaster85

Passed Driver's Ed
5G0907044CF.

awesome looks much better especially if max ac works, did you purchase the AliExpress kit or did you source the sensors and the harness elsewhere? If so where did you find them? I checked kufatec hoping they would have it but they did not.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
@Fraysa had a semi-bad experience with a PDC harness/sensors, he is now a lobbyist for the party that argues that everything from Ali-express is fake :ROFLMAO:. He does not however differentiate between fake and other-market OEM.

@Fraysa I'm just poking fun, I do appreciate that there may sometimes be differences in quality between OEM parts in different markets. My power folding mirror switch, ordered from e-acca, feels better than the one that came in the package with my mirrors, from Ali-Express. I just wouldn't argue that it's fake... and plenty of people have had the same kit installed (for years at this point) with no issues.

Just because they look like OEM, does not mean they’re not fake. I’ve owned an Audi A3 before and retrofitted the cup holder lights. The AliExpress seller told me it’s genuine “Chinese OEM” and after fitting it the LED was super dim. I ordered the German genuine part and before installing it I compared the two. The German OEM had solid 3 LEDs while the Chinese OEM had 1 LED which was soldered very badly. The Chinese had a part number and a VW logo embedded onto it.

This is why I know they’re profound in faking parts. Same goes for mechanical parts, btw. I’ve heard of tons of cases of fake Chinese filters/ignition coils which look 100% identical with part number and looks but fake.

Also another proof is the price. Why would it cost 1/3 the price of the OEM part? That also doesn’t make sense.

I do agree that there’s a market for Chinese parts. VW has factories in Asia because it’s more profitable for them than to deliver the cars (same goes for US/Mexico). However, I do think 90% of the parts are fake on AliExpress and are bad in quality.

Anyways, everyone’s free to buy whatever they want. I’m done with purchasing things from AliExpress. I’d rather pay 40% more or even higher to get a genuine OEM part.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Prices are hardly a direct indicator of anything without knowing the cost of manufacturing, distribution, and who is reselling/marking up said item. Brake caliper carriers for some of our Golfs are $82 from TRW and $210 from my dealer. That $130 gets me a VW box with a TRW stamped carrier in it.

No one is saying fakes (of anything, not just car parts) don't come out of China, or any other place for that matter. Claiming specific parts are fake while others have them in hand seems a bit much, imo. OEM from a different market is still OEM. It is almost certainly cheaper for VW to manufacture parts (or better said, have parts manufactured) closer to where they will be sold. Quality standards could be different, still not fake.

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Prices are hardly a direct indicator of anything without knowing the cost of manufacturing, distribution, and who is reselling/marking up said item. Brake caliper carriers for some of our Golfs are $82 from TRW and $210 from my dealer. That $130 gets me a VW box with a TRW stamped carrier in it.

No one is saying fakes (of anything, not just car parts) don't come out of China, or any other place for that matter. Claiming specific parts are fake while others have them in hand seems a bit much, imo. OEM from a different market is still OEM. It is almost certainly cheaper for VW to manufacture parts (or better said, have parts manufactured) closer to where they will be sold. Quality standards could be different, still not fake.

Let's agree to disagree then :). While I don't say all "Chinese OEM" are fake, I believe at-least 80% of them are.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Man, when you post stuff like this, providing PN is a must. :)

Got the capacitive climatronic unit in today. Part number is 17G907044P.

PXL_20201218_171015872.MP.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Any coding necessary to get heater controls to show up in MIB2 screen (as shown in post #137) or does it just show up?

I have a 2016 SE with MIB2 (non-Nav), and it just showed up, no coding necessary. You can see what unit I installed, which is the same procedure as the Autobahn\R unit in this thread. Just press the 'Menu' button, that screen pops up.

PXL_20201218_173055440.jpg

Genuine used parts >>>>> AliExpress fakes :).

Looks cool! Is this taken from the Passat/Tiguan? Does it sit flush?

Yep, sits flush, same as the other unit.

PXL_20201218_175116161.jpg

PXL_20201218_174928149.jpg

Followed the steps in this guide, which worked great. Installing the unit itself is a 15 minute job. The hardest part is getting the storage cubby to go back in (so far). I haven't run the sensors yet, they're both kind of just dangling in the footwell, so I don't expect the auto climate control to work amazing just yet. I have a friends car in my garage, and it was way to cold out to sit in the driveway and run the wires.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't mind it, hmm. I wish it came with a Max AC button instead of Clean Air. I'm using that as my reason for not getting it, haha.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't mind it, hmm. I wish it came with a Max AC button instead of Clean Air. I'm using that as my reason for not getting it, haha.

You of all people should have it. These controls were made to be paired with the digital dash and 9.2" screen!