GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whats with my brakes?

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I'll keep this as simple and quick as possible:

I have the stock brakes (PP brakes). I have been running RBF600 fluid for about 6 months, but those 6 months have included 6 track days.

Just recently I started to notice what I thought was just warped brake rotors, but I'm starting to wonder if thats not it anymore.

When I am gently slowing to a stop, I feel an inconsistency in my braking. Its not like a shake or vibration I would think warped rotors feel like. Its more like just an inconsistent brake performance. I feel no vibration at higher speeds, I only notice it at much lower speeds. It feels to me like a brake booster isn't running a consistent power.

Is it possible the fluid needs changing? Or a brake booster? Or is it most likely just a warped rotor? Could it be bubbles in the fluid? Fluid breakdown? Or did I just wreck my rotors at the track?

Thanks for any input!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Warped rotors get worse and worse at a pretty consistent, noticeable rate. If it gets worse it’s likely the rotors. If it remains difficult to pin down, it’s probably something with the braking system (fluid/master cyl/booster)

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Bed the brakes again. Probably uneven pad compound deposits on the rotors. You can also take the rotors off sand them down (there’s methods on how to do this), reinstall and bed the brakes.

Thanks. Ill look into this. Its not something I've done before. The stock brakes do surprisingly well on the track. I've beaten them!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's uneven deposits of pad material on the rotors from overheating the pads on track. You can remove them with steel wool.

Get RS3 brake deflectors and get a pad with a higher heat range.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I think I'll just replace the pads. I seriously beat on them this summer. I did a lot of hard track days.

Are the RS3 deflectors the brake cooling ducts?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I think I'll just replace the pads. I seriously beat on them this summer. I did a lot of hard track days.

They are. They're an inexpensive no brainer.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Clean rotors, change fluid after ea track day and just get a separate set of pads just for track days. Hawk DTC-60 pads for front or some similar hi temp hi friction pad. Don’t use street pads at track you just end up melting them and smearing pad material on your rotors giving you an uneven braking surface.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Clean rotors, change fluid after ea track day and just get a separate set of pads just for track days. Hawk DTC-60 pads for front or some similar hi temp hi friction pad. Don’t use street pads at track you just end up melting them and smearing pad material on your rotors giving you an uneven braking surface.

I'm going to do that. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it