GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vwr catch can ?/concern

Navi

Autocross Champion
Perfect, thanks Navi. Does the catch can hit the frame of the car on the bottom with that valve in place? Or does it clear it fine?

it clears fine. I thought you were removing all that stuff though. Wasn't it filling with oil?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
it clears fine. I thought you were removing all that stuff though. Wasn't it filling with oil?
Yes, but I'm considering adding a line from the can drain to the oil pan. lol. That way I don't have oil flooding my turbo and it just returns to the pan. But I might just combine it with OEM PCV instead of an aftermarket plate.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Also I'm late to this party but you are probably leaking a lot of boost at the N80 valve. Several plates like VWR send full boost to the N80 and I don't think the N80 is designed to handle it. OEM, Spulen, and Leyo incorporate a check valve to prevent boost from reaching the N80.
Not too sure about this. I put a check valve in that line so positive pressure cant go to the n80 valve and it didnt change anything for me. I also pressure tested the crankcase at idle through the dipstick tube and found from idle to revving to 5k it gains 2 psi in the crankcase

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, but I'm considering adding a line from the can drain to the oil pan. lol. That way I don't have oil flooding my turbo and it just returns to the pan. But I might just combine it with OEM PCV instead of an aftermarket plate.

I don't think that it will catch anything without the plate. The one I originally installed didn't.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Not too sure about this. I put a check valve in that line so positive pressure cant go to the n80 valve and it didnt change anything for me. I also pressure tested the crankcase at idle through the dipstick tube and found from idle to revving to 5k it gains 2 psi in the crankcase
Interesting, not sure what to think about all that. I know with the stock PCV the crankcase is under vacuum, and with the aftermarket ones it's basically neutral. FWIW. Sounds like you may need to do a boost leak test?

I don't think that it will catch anything without the plate. The one I originally installed didn't.
I don't really care for it to catch anything. My issue is at the road course, the oil surge issue floods the PCV and dumps oil into the turbo. A catch can would act as a buffer and the raw oil would just drain back to the pan. I would use the valve to keep it closed for daily driving since I don't have problems there, and just open it up at the track (after draining it of course).

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, not sure what to think about all that. I know with the stock PCV the crankcase is under vacuum, and with the aftermarket ones it's basically neutral. FWIW. Sounds like you may need to do a boost leak test?
I already boost leak tested it and didnt find any leaks anywhere. Tightened every clamp possible too. I'm gonna try going to b9 plate and if that doesnt work then I'm gonna take the line off the inlet from the catchcan and put a breather filter on it

Optima

Ready to race!
I’m happy to confirm that the Catheter with the 3/16 tube method works PERFECTLY. Made draining it a breeze. 0 mess.
26D95BE7-EE7D-40D3-BFAC-049850B678B5.jpeg