GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nearly 70k on OE clutch, Stage 1+; replace clutch now or wait?

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
So, I have been poking around the forum looking for suggestions or comments pertaining to when to replace my clutch. I'm at nearly 70k on the OE clutch and run Stage 1+. Is there any chance of damage if I wait for slippage or should be thinking of doing preventative maintenance and put a new clutch on my list for Santa? I currently have zero issues (knock on wood) but don't want to do any harm to the drivetrain by being lazy. If it matters, I am leaning towards an SRE clutch or DKM and want to retain the dual-mass flywheel. Have no intentions of going Stage 2...

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
OK, one for waiting...

Robsvictims

Car(s)
GTI
I would wait. I got over 100k out of mine. Stage 1@3k miles, stage 2 @5k miles, e30 @10k miles. At every step I had that same thought to be preemptive and just do it, but I didn’t and it paid off cause I never needed to. If it does slip then just take it easy until you can replace it.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I would get a Better clutch. I babied my stock clutch for too long. It finally went and I upgraded to Sb stg3 daily. Wish I would’ve done it earlier. With a better clutch you can enjoy the tune more. If you can afford it I’d do it now. Save your good condition stock clutch if you need to go back to stock

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Replace it when it acts like it needs replacing. If you're a bad driver, start saving the cash now.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I would get a Better clutch. I babied my stock clutch for too long. It finally went and I upgraded to Sb stg3 daily. Wish I would’ve done it earlier. With a better clutch you can enjoy the tune more. If you can afford it I’d do it now. Save your good condition stock clutch if you need to go back to stock

You're assuming he's babying the clutch. You don't have to baby it, just avoid abusing it, like WOT in 5th and 6th. Just drive properly and downshift. Dropping the clutch on launch is just abuse too. No need and it doesn't make you faster. Even on fat RE71R's, my EQT stg 1 tune is already fighting for traction when I launch the car like a reasonable person. Dumping the clutch isn't going to make you faster. I think most of the complaints about the stock clutch are just people that abuse their cars. Does that mean the GTI clutch is as robust as the clutch in a WRX or STI? Nope, but it can handle stg 1 power if you don't abuse the car.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the feedback, no I don't abuse the clutch. I have only ever owned manual transmission cars since I could drive (unbelievably). I try hard to not abuse my cars and their transmissions. Its great to see others who have gotten high mileage out of their MK7 OE clutches as all I ever had heard was that the clutches on these cars were prone to slippage at relatively light mileage regardless of driving style.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the feedback, no I don't abuse the clutch. I have only ever owned manual transmission cars since I could drive (unbelievably). I try hard to not abuse my cars and their transmissions. Its great to see others who have gotten high mileage out of their MK7 OE clutches as all I ever had heard was that the clutches on these cars were prone to slippage at relatively light mileage regardless of driving style.

I'm only at 14,000 right now, but the car gets launched 6 to 18 times every autocross (I usually have 2 or 3 codrivers), gets tracked and I generally drive pretty hard on the street. Zero slip. Avoid dropping the clutch, slipping the clutch excessively on launch, and don't use WOT in 4th, 5th or 6th, unless shifting into that gear from the top of the previous gear. I get into 5th gear WOT on the oval portions of Daytona and have no slip in 5th at WOT, because I shift into 5th from the top of 4th. The issue is when you're cruising along at low RPM's in 5th and 6th an go WOT. Avoid that and you'll get a lot of life out of the clutch. I got 140,000 out of my old Corrados clutch and drove the piss out of that car. My first car was an 83 GTI and I killed the clutch at 40k miles because I had no idea what I was doing. You sound like you can drive a manual and have common sense, so you'll be fine.

On another note, these cars really are fantastic even with just a stg 1 tune. Sucks that we never got the CS in the US. Makes me sad.