GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My TPC20 Turbo Build... NOW TPC38BB Build

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So you are saying vortex has ZERO reliablity issues. Again, please give a detailed list of these failures.
Out of all the turbos sold i am aware of 2 failures including this one.

The Vortex (just like Littco and DBV2 with the TBB introduction) had growing pains when they started on the MQB platform. Turns out bearings that are successful in other applications aren't necessarily successful on an MQB which runs low oil pressure most of its life. I told plenty of people not to buy the Vortex until the bearings were redesigned and they were proven reliable. Since the redesign i haven't heard of a failure and there are several hundred in circulation now, many with high miles and many run at 35+psi which is an honest 550whp.

Given that there are two members in this thread with blown TPC20s, both of which failed with very low miles and no crazy boost pressures, and i know of at least one other, that doesn't seem like a great percentage when you consider that i only know of a handful of people running them. I have some Evo friends that have had great success abusing TPC units with no problems, btw.

That said, i don't work for TPC, so maybe there is some inside info you can share with us?

You're always very supportive/defensive of TPC but neglect to mention you're on the payroll. A bit disingenuous, no?

No problems with mine after 20K miles. Where are you seeing that they are failing?

That's like a week for you! lol

Seriously though, that's good and i hope it remains a solid unit.

You're running the EQT XL, yea?
Currently yes. 30psi at 3250rpm and full boost 35psi at 3500...and i don't have cam control on Maestro. If i had acess to the VVT tables i could drop that 150rpm or so.

Full weight besides the spare, 60-130 getting down into the 7.40s and i'm not done tuning. There's not a ton left but there is a bit more on the table. That's indicative of a 131-133 trap without pulling any weight, normal daily trim on E66 fuel.

Completely different league than my previous turbo.

To be fair Hoon is much more aggro.

Yeah, people shilling for companies without any disclosure that they are an employee or have other motives (like your sponsorship agreement) tends to do that to me.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
There's not a ton left but there is a bit more on the table.

With the investment you have in this build so far have you considered going full frame? Or would the power gains be negligible for the cost increase?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Gotcha. So I guess he is also sponsored by them?
1601384720869.gif

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
The Vortex (just like Littco and DBV2 with the TBB introduction) had growing pains when they started on the MQB platform. Turns out bearings that are successful in other applications aren't necessarily successful on an MQB which runs low oil pressure most of its life. I told plenty of people not to buy the Vortex until the bearings were redesigned and they were proven reliable. Since the redesign i haven't heard of a failure and there are several hundred in circulation now, many with high miles and many run at 35+psi which is an honest 550whp.

Given that there are two members in this thread with blown TPC20s, both of which failed with very low miles and no crazy boost pressures, and i know of at least one other, that doesn't seem like a great percentage when you consider that i only know of a handful of people running them. I have some Evo friends that have had great success abusing TPC units with no problems, btw.

That said, i don't work for TPC, so maybe there is some inside info you can share with us?

You're always very supportive/defensive of TPC but neglect to mention you're on the payroll. A bit disingenuous, no?

That's like a week for you! lol

Seriously though, that's good and i hope it remains a solid unit.

Currently yes. 30psi at 3250rpm and full boost 35psi at 3500...and i don't have cam control on Maestro. If i had acess to the VVT tables i could drop that 150rpm or so.

Full weight besides the spare, 60-130 getting down into the 7.40s and i'm not done tuning. There's not a ton left but there is a bit more on the table. That's indicative of a 131-133 trap without pulling any weight, normal daily trim on E66 fuel.

Yeah, people shilling for companies without any disclosure that they are an employee or have other motives (like your sponsorship agreement) tends to do that to me.
those are the only 2 failures we have had. 2 total.
No customer has been left hanging.
and yes i work for tpc, i started in july of this year

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
those are the only 2 failures we have had. 2 total.
No customer has been left hanging.
and yes i work for tpc, i started in july of this year

To Hoons point they don't seem to be the most popular choice at this point. So how many do you have in the field?

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion

that is epic spool, 35psi at 3500rpm is insane awesome torque for a turbo capable of making 600+whp

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
Any update on the turbo failure
Update. Turbo Blown.

More of an update once I know more. :cry:

Any update on the blown turbo as to why? And How TPC is handling this?