GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New MK6 GTI Owner

e46bmwzhp

Hello guys im new to the community. Just picked up a 2012 GTI as my new daily driver. Always loved the GTI (a friend of mine picked it up brand new in 2012 and still going strong with 260+km)

This is my first Venture into the VW side, i have always been a loyal BMW enthusiast. So far i have done some routine maintenance (oil change, DSG fluid and swapped the water pump which was leaking coolant). Also did a carbon cleaning using chemical treatment. For now that is all, the car is running in tip top shape, please see some pictures below after a quick first wash! Cheers

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If you mean you ran sea foam or something similar to do the chemical carbon cleaning I can assure you it did not clean anything and you still need to manually clean the valves. Bundle of zip ties and carb cleaner is the best method besides walnut blasting.

e46bmwzhp

If you mean you ran sea foam or something similar to do the chemical carbon cleaning I can assure you it did not clean anything and you still need to manually clean the valves. Bundle of zip ties and carb cleaner is the best method besides walnut blasting.

haha i assure you i did not do the seafoam thing :) chemical blasting method by removing manifold and letting it soak and scrub. It was actually done over the weekend at a shop.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Sweet. Make sure you have the updated timing tensioner.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Looks pretty clean, any plans for mods? If it has stock coils I might consider getting a kit with plugs and coils.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Nice ride man, love the condition of the paint! How many miles does it have?

e46bmwzhp

Looks pretty clean, any plans for mods? If it has stock coils I might consider getting a kit with plugs and coils.
Thanks man. for now nothing major planned since its my daily. I need to commute in this thing, i like the way it drives. I MIGHT get the itch and go wtih some lowering springs, few mm spacers and a stage 1 tune.. but thats all

Nice ride man, love the condition of the paint! How many miles does it have?

Thank you ! It has approx 110k miles. 174km :)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Looks great and welcome.

At the minimum stage 1 tune it!! Brings the car up to modern standards IMO.

e46bmwzhp

Looks great and welcome.

At the minimum stage 1 tune it!! Brings the car up to modern standards IMO.
Thank you! What type of tune do you recommend? I think they need to take out the ECU for the first time you tune it> Also for a stage 1 is leaving everythign else stock ok.. i Heard the DSG can handle a lot more power from the factory.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Thank you! What type of tune do you recommend? I think they need to take out the ECU for the first time you tune it> Also for a stage 1 is leaving everythign else stock ok.. i Heard the DSG can handle a lot more power from the factory.

I had a Unitronic Stage 1+ (93 octane) tune and loved it. Unitronic does not require any other mods just the ECU flash and when I went Stage 1 I had no other mods**. You can do it at home with their UniConnect+ cable.

Other DIY options are Integrated Engineering and a COBB accessport with Stratified tune.

**Edit - Okay I did have GFB DV+, new plugs and R8 coil packs in preparation but no other mods.

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
If you are going to daily driver this, you can't do better than the Unitronic 1+ tune. At least....I think so. Everyone has an opinion, of course. Taking out the ECU is old-timey stuff, no one does that anymore, your flash is thru your OBD port and with the Unitronic one you can do it yourself at home. I did, and I love mine. And yes, the DSG tranny is dynamite.

e46bmwzhp

If you are going to daily driver this, you can't do better than the Unitronic 1+ tune. At least....I think so. Everyone has an opinion, of course. Taking out the ECU is old-timey stuff, no one does that anymore, your flash is thru your OBD port and with the Unitronic one you can do it yourself at home. I did, and I love mine. And yes, the DSG tranny is dynamite.
Perfect! I think i will def get this unitronic tune. i dont even think i will notice hte difference between 1 and 1+. in my area not many 93 octane stations so i think ill do the initial stage 1. I guess i was told old information regarding the tune :) this is great i look forward to this mod!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Thanks man. for now nothing major planned since its my daily. I need to commute in this thing, i like the way it drives. I MIGHT get the itch and go wtih some lowering springs, few mm spacers and a stage 1 tune.. but thats all

:) this is great i look forward to this mod!

And so it begins.....

That didn't take long....LOL

Once you get the itch there is no scratching it, well not for long anyway. ;) Not long now and you'll be sourcing catbacks and coils. :cool: