GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When do you typically change spark plugs?

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
I am glad I read this thread, as I ordered Bosch dual platinum plugs for $27 delivered from Rock Auto. I plan to change mine out at 25k miles but I like to work on cars and have stg 1 tune. Previous VW’s always ran so good after new plugs and to me they look old n dirty at 25k.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
I am glad I read this thread, as I ordered Bosch dual platinum plugs for $27 delivered from Rock Auto. I plan to change mine out at 25k miles but I like to work on cars and have stg 1 tune. Previous VW’s always ran so good after new plugs and to me they look old n dirty at 25k.
Me no tune up nothing on my car stock af so ill change it with belt chain at 100k km.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
There’s no such thing as a belt chain. You have both. Only one gets changed. You might want to read a bit more.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
He is a she.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
This is simple. You have a timing chain and a serpentine belt. Only one gets changed. Reading is fundamental and words matter.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I had mine changed at 35K when my local dealer was running an amazing special during the covid lockdowns. I guess my original plugs must have been in pretty bad shape because the car is far more responsive after having them done. It wasn't a placebo effect because I still feel the difference a few months later.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I had mine changed at 35K when my local dealer was running an amazing special during the covid lockdowns. I guess my original plugs must have been in pretty bad shape because the car is far more responsive after having them done. It wasn't a placebo effect because I still feel the difference a few months later.

That's a good point. Even guys that are stock can benefit from changing plugs sooner than the recommended mileage. I'm changing mine every 15,000 miles because of my tune.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
That's a good point. Even guys that are stock can benefit from changing plugs sooner than the recommended mileage. I'm changing mine every 15,000 miles because of my tune.

Yeah I was shocked. It feels so much better in situations when I am constantly on and off the throttle.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Its such an easy DIY really no reason not to change them once a year...use FCP Euro and combine your return shipping and they are free.

Nappy216

Ready to race!
I just changed mine at 40K Super easy DIY. Took a short drive to warm engine up....coils came right out.
Low RPMs seem a little smoother now.

One strange thing. When I finished I notice a red goop on my spark socket. It was really sticky... when I tried to wipe it off with shop rag...the rag got stuck. Had to use a degreaser to get it off.
Is some type of grease from the factory? Don't recall seeing this in any of the online videos I watched.

Attachments

• Plug socket.jpg
    Plug socket.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 126