GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 or not?

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Your anecdotal evidence and impressive sample size not withstanding, I think I'll side with VW engineers on this one and stick with just using the required G12 with no snake oil additives.
I have to agree with Joe_M. I've seen first hand what just randomly adding stuff to G12 can do; not just the green stuff like he refers to. The Prestone, above, completely ruined a co-worker of mine's cooling system, cost her a lot of money for her boyfriend's stupidity in randomly adding crap. VW does build their stuff to kinda do this on purpose, I think. That way you use THEIR liquids. I know random sensors stop working if you use the wrong fluids, RAIN-X crapped out a friend of mine's washer system , ruined the sensors and messed up the pump. I started adding a bit of extra alcohol to my windshield washer reservoir, not much, maybe two ounces, but my fluid level sensor fried because of it. Crazy. I got a new one , they're cheap, but a PITA to replace.
GolNat- I'm sure our cars will run with any correct viscosity oil. But from what I understand, the 'approved' means approved levels of protection for tight tolerances, temperatures, and turbo longevity. I mean, y'all do what you want but it seems silly to risk damage and decay if you don't have to, all over some secret additive. Aftermarket stuff is fun, but sometimes OEM is better. Old adage: ''If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.''
But hey------ it's YOUR cars.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I started adding a bit of extra alcohol to my windshield washer reservoir, not much, maybe two ounces, but my fluid level sensor fried because of it. Crazy. I got a new one , they're cheap, but a PITA to replace.

How did alcohol fry the sensor?
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.42.52 PM.png

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
How did alcohol fry the sensor?
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.42.52 PM.png

Yep, that's the sucker all right. To be honest, when the sensor went bad I didn't have a clue what would have caused it, I never had one go bad before. I know alcohol can affect some plastics, create hairline cracks, make parts brittle and cause them not to work. I went to a VW dealer to pick up a friend, and while waiting I asked a service guy about it and he said alcohol could definitely affect the sensor. And that's the only additive I've ever put in the washer system.

torga

Autocross Champion
The same design principles are applied to anything.
Perfect example: Stock GTI clutch is rated to last X time at OEM tq. You add a tune and increase the torque it sees, and it subsequently fails (slips), which wouldn't have happened if you only ever put stock torque through it.
Isn't this what I said – verbatim – on the first page of this thread? lol

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Isn't this what I said – verbatim – on the first page of this thread? lol
No reason not to reiterate though. It is very true, when you go outside the "box" VW engineers have set for the vehicle, you will inevitably have more failures. You're working outside the parameters they designed in.

Seems obvious to us but it really isn't for most people.

torga

Autocross Champion
No reason not to reiterate though. It is very true, when you go outside the "box" VW engineers have set for the vehicle, you will inevitably have more failures. You're working outside the parameters they designed in.

Seems obvious to us but it really isn't for most people.
Fair enough, I just thought the straight copy/paste was a bit funny.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah I'm sure he didn't read the whole thread what can you do

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
pression test is good I'd just slap her on there and go!!

But really a stage 1 tune wakes the car up so much. I'd start with that
Set aside about 10K for the project of K04 and refresh. There is a good chance you can get it done for less but you should be prepared. Going K04 on an otherwise stock car is about 4-5K if you have nothing. On a TSI motor you would want:
K04 kit 1600
K04 tune 800
Upgraded intercooler 900
Upgraded intake 300
Upgraded Turbo Pipes (2) 450
3in turboback exhaust - 900
So you have about 5K minus any parts you already have

Accessory belt kit - 150
Cooling system refresh kit - 150
Timing Chain Kit - 500
Gaskets / Seals - 300
Rod bearing set - 200
Rings - 200
APR Valve Springs and retainers - 600
And another 2100 here (probably don't need connecting rods with TSI motor)

So we are about 7K in parts here and figure rest in labor unless you do your own work.

Note- on a car of that mileage you may discover other issues as it is being worked on ...... so be prepared for the unexpected.

But I heard the connecting rod is the weak link instead of the piston?
When rebuilding an 80-90k miles engine, is bore and hone neccessary?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
But I heard the connecting rod is the weak link instead of the piston?
When rebuilding an 80-90k miles engine, is bore and hone neccessary?
You dont have to worry about building the engine on Ko4. I have been ko4 for 30k miles and not a single issue. I drive it like its supposed to be driven, sees 7k rpm all the time.
I have heard you sometimes need to upgrade valve springs as valves may float at the higher rpm powerband. I didn't run into this issue however.
I am on a rebuilt motor and and it was not bored or hones. New rings was it and the other items that should have been updated. Nothing major

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
You dont have to worry about building the engine on Ko4. I have been ko4 for 30k miles and not a single issue. I drive it like its supposed to be driven, sees 7k rpm all the time.
I have heard you sometimes need to upgrade valve springs as valves may float at the higher rpm powerband. I didn't run into this issue however.
I am on a rebuilt motor and and it was not bored or hones. New rings was it and the other items that should have been updated. Nothing major
- x2 on the don't need a built motor for K04 power. I had same experience you did.
- I have heard same, that certain springs on some of the motors are too weak for K04 power and will float (TSI motor)