GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone added the rear seat USB charger ports from China?

w124_karl

Ready to race!
Mine arrived today from Aliexpress seller Performance Tuning Parts. Everything including the box is OEM VW (China Market). I ran the part number and it is off of a Polo as mentioned above. Think is was $62 shipped with the PayPal fee.

(snip)

Now I need to find time to rip apart the console...

Following. Nice find!

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Installed... and yes, the interior needs a good cleaning now. :)

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Installed... and yes, the interior needs a good cleaning now. :)
Looks good. Gave the thread a read, did the harness from this seller tap into the 12v in the armrest, or did you have to tap into power next to the shifter? I know part numbers were mentioned a page back to connect directly into the armrest 12v - just curious if anyone has yet.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Looks good. Gave the thread a read, did the harness from this seller tap into the 12v in the armrest, or did you have to tap into power next to the shifter? I know part numbers were mentioned a few pages back to connect directly into the armrest 12v - just curious if anyone has yet.

Taps into the 12v outlet in the console. Pretty sure you need to have an electronic emergency brake for these panels to fit properly.

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
Taps into the 12v outlet in the console. Pretty sure you need to have an electronic emergency brake for these panels to fit properly.

+1. The panel requires slight modification for manual e-brake versions, but easier to route power from the armrest 12V cig than the center console. I haven't found a seller for a drop-in panel 100% compatible with the manual brake version.

I'll post up my procedure when I do the install soon.

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
So an update on my end. Just received my rear vent USB charger ports... did not come in a box and the melted joints all snapped... Trying to work out a claim with the seller. But aside from that, the more important part, I can confirm that a simple swap of connectors and you can reconfigure the harness to work on the 12V socket under the arm rest. I also removed from the harness the third cable since I'm not running it to the 12V near the shifter.

20200914_160111.jpg

So choose one of male (1J0972762) or female (1J0972752) and swap with the equivalent connector used for the 12V socket. I decided to swap female heads between the harness and the wiring under the center console as the male head attached to the 12V socket was wrapped in an adhesive foam. "Borrowed" a hair pin from my wife and it worked perfectly as a terminal release tool!

20200914_155906.jpg

Last edited:

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
With a partial refund, and plans to glue the vents back on I decided to do a test fit first.

The panel does not fit the NA GTI as is, some tabs will need to be modified, but only on two spots at the top.
20200916_160627_001.jpg

20200916_160635.jpg

Once you cut these right down it will fit.

I don't know why VW needed to engineer two types of slide out arm rest rails but now I'll have two gaps that things could drop into near the hinge...

I'll provide pics of the final install on my next post.

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
My parts have finally arrived from China. Not sure if I'll get the chance to try it this weekend, but I'll be ready with my tools to pull apart my new car to install this. Being German made I'm pretty sure it should fit and so hopefully won't be a waste of my time.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
With a partial refund, and plans to glue the vents back on I decided to do a test fit first.

The panel does not fit the NA GTI as is, some tabs will need to be modified, but only on two spots at the top.

Once you cut these right down it will fit.

I don't know why VW needed to engineer two types of slide out arm rest rails but now I'll have two gaps that things could drop into near the hinge...

I'll provide pics of the final install on my next post.
Good info. Just to clarify, do you have the manual E-brake or the electronic? I know you mention the armrest 12V, but ya never know.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
So an update on my end. Just received my rear vent USB charger ports... did not come in a box and the melted joints all snapped...

The joints are crap on all of them.. My stock panel has several that were separated when I pulled it to install the USB version.

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
So final result.

The fit isn't perfect, the seam has varying degree of tightness but no actual gap.

20200918_092433.jpg
20200918_092444.jpg

My biggest gripe is the exposed hinges.
20200918_092521.jpg

I will likely just put some low density foam pieces to ensure nothing drops into them.

One thing to note, it does snap on tighter than the stock panel. harder to pull off.