GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got in a wreck on a Monday - Will it be totaled (19 R) ?

FactoryR

Ready to race!
Sad to report that my 19 R with about 22k was hit on the driver side. My question is - will the car be totaled? The 2 doors, primarly the rear, took the brunt of the hit and you can see it pushed the body onto the rear wheel a little bit. The impact itself was not hard so structurally, I'm confident there is no frame damage.

--I was going through a highway intersection at speed, 60 mph. Guy going the opposite direction was making a left turn at the intersection, and I was passing through the intersection, he proceed to turn left into me (he didn't have a protected green turn signal).
-- He spun me to where I did a 180 facing the opposite direction I was traveling, but stayed in the road. I have some airbag burn on left side, but not hurt or injured. Very fortunate I didn't hit the light pole and or other cars at the intersection as it could've been A LOT worse given the speed at which this happened.

I'll keep you updated on what happens with insurance. I hope to remain an R owner, but also don't want a jacked up car which I know you guys can appreciate.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to see this, glad you're okay. I say totaled based on airbag deployment and upper and lower C pillar deformation. Keep us in the loop.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
With the areas damaged I'd say it'll be close. Definitely expensive to repair, get multiple body shop quotes.
Honestly I'd be hoping for a totaled car if it was me. I had a BRZ that was hit by a semi while it was parked. $10k in damages and my insurance didn't total it out. After repairs it wasn't the same (weird creaks, 80% repainted pearl paint, sound system wasn't re-installed properly).

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Glad to hear that everyone was ok. Looks like it might be totaled.

I see some dent in C pillar above rear window (not sure if its a deception) and the vehicle might have a lot of damage than whats captured in the picture.

FactoryR

Ready to race!
With the areas damaged I'd say it'll be close. Definitely expensive to repair, get multiple body shop quotes.
Honestly I'd be hoping for a totaled car if it was me. I had a BRZ that was hit by a semi while it was parked. $10k in damages and my insurance didn't total it out. After repairs it wasn't the same (weird creaks, 80% repainted pearl paint, sound system wasn't re-installed properly).

I'm of the same belief. I feel like if they did decide to repair it, it would still have some creaks, rattles, and/or just not be the same and then I'd just turn around and trade it in. I guess we'll see. Still trying to connect with the insurance agent assigned the claim.

Rennwagen

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I'm of the same belief. I feel like if they did decide to repair it, it would still have some creaks, rattles, and/or just not be the same and then I'd just turn around and trade it in. I guess we'll see. Still trying to connect with the insurance agent assigned the claim.

I would be very clear with the body shop/s that you will not accept anything other than perfection. You had a gem of a car, and you expect it to be in identical condition upon completion. Tell them you'll come in frequently to check on the repair status/quality. If they know your standards, they will be more likely to overbid the labor on the job in order to make sure it won't be a problem later.

Best of luck! Glad no one was injured!

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Glad you're okay and really sorry to hear about your car. Fingers crossed that its totalled so that you don't have to deal with potential issues after a repair.

new R Fan 2018

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Damn?! Sad to hear and see your new R badly injured. Hope everything works out for ya. Get yourself another R!

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Very glad to hear you're okay, that sounds like a scary accident.

I was in a similar situation about this time last year, and based on what I see in your pictures I lean a lot towards totaled. In my personal opinion, I would prefer that over getting it repaired, even if you trust the shop more than anyone else in the world. I'd want the peace of mind knowing you'll be in a fresh car and not one that isn't quite perfect.

My guesstimate is that you'll be close, but judging by 2 new doors, that stupid one-piece left body panel, and suspension work, not to mention frame damage, it's going to cost a lot.

Most importantly though, you're okay. Hope you everything goes smoothly from here!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
If you're lucky, it'll be totalled. The reason I say that is the slight bending in the C pillar (panel) just above the window: the entire unibody has flexed. It's highly unlikely that, if repaired, it will drive like it did before the accident. But there are a couple of factors that might affect your insurance company's decision as to whether or not your car will be totalled out. First, it's an R, which not only runs better than $40K new, but they don't depreciate like a GTI does. A body shop can do a lot of reconstruction for better than $30K, especially when the major mechanicals aren't involved. Second, right now, your R is especially valuable, as due to the Corona virus, used car sales are through the roof from people who had relied on public transportation and now want a safe way to get around. Yes, Dallas isn't New York when it comes to public transportation, but the nationwide shortage of good used cars is impacting the value of your R, even in your region.

Now, if your insurance company decides to have your car repaired, make sure that you get it done at the very best shop you can find; the range in quality can be far greater than most people realize. Some insurance companies, like Allstate, have really high standards before they will let a collision center be one of their "recommended" vendors. Not so much so if you went with cheapo insurance, like "The General." Unless you have truly premium insurance, your adjuster will try to steer you to one of their preferred shops, which always cost them less than other shops. They'll likely tell you that if you take it there, all of the paperwork and payments will be done behind the scenes without you having to do much, if anything. If your policy gives you the option, don't use their recommended vendors, unless you know that it is a top-notch shop, known for doing miraculous reconstructions. You will need a miraculous reconstruction. Last, demand all new parts, if your policy allows for that. Many of these policy holder options are what differentiates more expensive policies from the cheaper ones. I hope this helps. But like others have said, the important part was that nobody was hurt.

BTW, my wife is in insurance, and my neighbor owns a chain of seven collision centers--really good ones.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
@60mph travelling at 88ft/s you didn't notice that other car already in a turn? The precision of where the intial contact was made would indicate that the supposed other vehicle, was already committed in a turn.
Stranger things have happened....

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
^
At 60, with a green light, you don't really have any choices if someone on the other side of the highway just turns their car into yours.

Unless you're some kind of race car driver.