GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe install cost?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I did mine on ramps, what i do is out the ramps on the slopping down part of the driveway and drive out away from your house onto the ramps, gives you a few more inches to work with.

I have a base gti so id say the job was easy and would rather buy the tools and do it yourself than pay a shop $150+ for an easy install.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
There's two cruxes.

The first was getting the dp unbolted from that heat shield / mounting plate that's on the block. With the LSD, I could not see any easy path to them from below. I ended up sitting on the engine, with a mirror. I remember one of the nuts wasn't that hard to get at, but the other required a crazy combo of small wobble extensions plus a U joint type socket adapter. I felt like i was doing some kind of Annie Oakley trick shot.

Then there's fishing the DP itself out. Plenty of info on how to do that. I do remember having the jackstands in front on highest notch to make room. I also remember I twisted it into the recommended orientation from below, but to really get it going I had to then push the top from above - then go back under for the last of the pull out(giggle).

I say go for it. You can buy a whole lot of goodies for whatever a shop wants, and it will build character.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
if you have the tools and the space, do it yourself. Its super easy. just need the car off the ground a good 1.5-2 feet for clearance taking it out.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty useless wrenching on a car and I've never regretted a DIY. Is it fun pulling the exhaust out on your own with a bunch of jack stands as your seperate set of hands? Not in the moment. Is it fun realizing you saved money and torqued everything perfectly unlike a shop that will just zip it on with an impact? Yes. If anything, now that I'm taking things off my car, I regret anything that I did pay to have installed. Nothing is too bad if you have patience.

Hell, treat yourself and buy the best ramps you can afford. It will pay for itself in this one install alone. I have those long low profile race ramps where the ramp part comes out when the car is up so you can access the side. Don't regret a penny I spent on those overpriced blocks. Go for it man, forum members here are also very generous with advice if you get stuck on a step.

Proxima2

Ready to race!
The job itself is pretty easy. Hardest part is getting the turbo flange down and out of the car. I removed a bit of heat shielding at the very bottom of the opening and it became much easier. Overall, I give it a 3 on the 1-10 hardness scale!

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Okay..you guys have convinced me to take it on. Will two regular jacks suffice?

Get it as high off the ground without killing yourself. You dont need 2 jacks, you need 2 jack stands. If you get a 2-3 ton jack stand, you will post likely need to put wood under it to get enough clearance. The more clearance the better. Like I said you are going to want 1.5-2 ft.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Get it as high off the ground without killing yourself. You dont need 2 jacks, you need 2 jack stands. If you get a 2-3 ton jack stand, you will post likely need to put wood under it to get enough clearance. The more clearance the better. Like I said you are going to want 1.5-2 ft.
Stands all the way up are like 1.5ft. should be good. more the better, but better to be safer. I wouldn't trust 3000lbs on a piece of wood under a jack stand

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Stands all the way up are like 1.5ft. should be good. more the better, but better to be safer. I wouldn't trust 3000lbs on a piece of wood under a jack stand

that’s what I’m trying to get to. Most people use the 2-3 ton jack stands which will need more clearance to make the job easier. Get a 6 ton jack stand and it should be able to do it without wood needed. I use my 3 ton jack stands with 3 pieces of 2x10(extra 6 inches) to get the clearance I like without feeling like this shit is going to fall and kill me lol

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I usually use a full set of 3-Ton stands to get it all up. Personally I just like having the car be up because I trust the stands when they're used like they're supposed to. I put my 2 jacks on both sides "just in case" but I've never had an issue with them
Ya i usually put other stuff there too, i.e tire if its off lol