GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB3 ?

sloppyGTI

Silly Rabit
Car(s)
2019 VW gti autobahn
has anyone been successful on finding any documentation or videos on the new MIB3 system at all ? im curious to see about these updated maps .

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'm also curious about retrofitting MIB3 into a Mk7.5. That wireless app connect is what I'm really interested in.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Yup, I backed it on day 1. Honestly, I'm surprised at the success, I didn't think they'd meet their original goal of $220k, nevermind going 200% above it and not stopping yet.

I tried the original AAGateWay app Emil made some time ago. It was clunky to use and cumbersome. You had to mess around with wifi tethering and turning your phone into a hotspot everytime you got in your car. It looks like that issue was resolved on Android 9, so it should be a much smoother experience now. I don't have a spare device running 9 to try it out (old phone only upgraded to 8), so curious to see how well this device works when it comes in December.

I wish I could find something like this for USB to keep the device powered on. Emil mentions in the comments that keeping the unit running only shaved about 8 - 9 seconds off boot up\connection time, but when the overall connection takes 30 seconds from when you start your car, saving 8 - 9 seconds is a pretty big chunk.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Tldr - may not be able to use mobile data while connected wirelessly to android auto

Wireless android auto is overrated. I have a pioneer wireless android auto capable head unit in my cx9 and phone connects great, but it uses Wi-Fi to connect to head unit. And unfortunately on many android phones, including my Note10 +, which is not an old phone by any means, it defaults to using Wi-Fi data over mobile data. So essentially you can't use data while connected to the head unit.

And I have adjusted settings to allow mobile data even when connected to Wi-Fi in regular settings as well as developer mode. So now I just plug it in like in my Golf.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I wonder how easy retrofitting that new MIB3 into my 2019 Autobahn will be. 2021 model will have that same 8" glass screen?

I think the 2021's with MIB3 have the 9.2" glass screen.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Tldr - may not be able to use mobile data while connected wirelessly to android auto

Hmm, I wonder how many phones can use mobile data and Wi-Fi at the same time. I have the Pixel 3, not sure how to test it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hmm, I wonder how many phones can use mobile data and Wi-Fi at the same time. I have the Pixel 3, not sure how to test it.

I have a Pixel 4 and I know it does. It's one of the things I love about it. It has a seemless transition from wifi to data, because data stays active when wifi is on.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I have a Pixel 4 and I know it does. It's one of the things I love about it. It has a seemless transition from wifi to data, because data stays active when wifi is on.

I have a feeling it may depend on the network. I am using Verizon at the moment but could be switching to Project Fi.

Nimche

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI SE DSG
not intending to wake you all up, but any progress on the retrofit for MK7.5? haven't got my AAwireless dongle yet.