GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accessport DSG issue

Mlaplaca08

Passed Driver's Ed
I tried flashing both my Ecu and dsg today - Ecu installed with no problems however the dsg encounters an error saying its unable to set ecu into data transfer mode. I’ve contacted Cobb and they are working to try to resolve it. Was interested if anyone else encountered this issue before and what you did to resolve it.

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Had the same issue, Cobb recommended a higher amp charger, got a 15A, up from 6A, and it flashed DSG fine afterward

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
You certainly don't need a powerful charger to flash it...or a charger at all... maybe your battery is just low. See what Cobb comes up with but try charging the battery up overnight or whatever and go it another go tomorrow.

Mlaplaca08

Passed Driver's Ed
Picked up a new battery charger since mine was quite a few years old, will try again in the morning. New battery is only a month old but hoping this works.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You certainly don't need a powerful charger to flash it...or a charger at all... maybe your battery is just low. See what Cobb comes up with but try charging the battery up overnight or whatever and go it another go tomorrow.

I've flashed a few tunes without a battery charger with a cold engine when there was no risk of the fan kicking on. But for an initial install of the AP I think it's a good idea to use a charger because the risk of bricking your ECU is greater if the battery isn't strong and it takes much longer for the initial install.

Mlaplaca08

Passed Driver's Ed
Did not unfortunately, Cobb customer service passed it on to their engineers. I’m kind of stumped at the moment so hopefully hear back from them in a few business days.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Have you downloaded the Access Port manager to your computer? There could be a firmware update for it.

Mlaplaca08

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea, have tried a crazy amount of things and it still says it’s unable to get the ecu into transfer mode only for dsg install. Updated access manager, accessport, battery charger, phone turned off, BT turned off from the MIB2, both keys left in car, headlights/HVAC/Radio off. So we’ll see what Cobb says. Certainly frustrating but don’t think there is much left to try for it to work.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
...and I thought it was just me. I had the same issue as OP. Cobb gave up and is presumably refunding my money. Is Cobb lame or...?

Mlaplaca08

Passed Driver's Ed
So Cobb did try a bunch of trouble shooting and none of it worked. I went to a local VW shop who uses IE and UM, asked them to flash me to a stock file. They did and after that, Cobb AP connected and flashed without issue.