GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best HP all seasons?

Ravenstyle83

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
I run them as well. Too keep it short - they're amazing for performance. However, I lost 5mpg all around when I switched from the stock Pirelli P7's (staying at 27psi). Makes sense - the BF's are much softer. I decided to buy a cheap set of stock Austin's and Pirelli's recently to use as my roadtrip set. Gained my 5mpg back :).

Awesome. I am putting on a set of the BFG Comp 2 AS tires 225/18 on my stock wheels this weekend. Will report back with results when I get some miles on them.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Has anyone run an Michelin AS3+ and an Falken FK510 or comparable UHP Summer.

If so, how do they compare?

I am currently on FK510 and like them a lot (other than wear), but the AS3+ is on sale for $133 (265/35r18). That makes them very tempting, but I don't want to sacrifice grip if they are far apart.

I think I already know the answer, but figured I'd ask.

Also, has anyone with camber plates gotten discount tire to warranty tires since the wear is uneven?

That's another benefit of the AS3 is the 45k warranty.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Continental Control Contact Sport SRS - Discount Tire exclusive and effectively a newer version of the DWS06 with less emphasis on snow traction. Been v. impressed so far after almost 10K miles.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie

I am currently on FK510 and like them a lot (other than wear), but the AS3+ is on sale for $133 (265/35r18). That makes them very tempting, but I don't want to sacrifice grip if they are far apart.

Also, has anyone with camber plates gotten discount tire to warranty tires since the wear is uneven?

Be warned, for some reason the AS3+ are very noisy on this vehicle. I got rid of them in the first 300 miles.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Be warned, for some reason the AS3+ are very noisy on this vehicle. I got rid of them in the first 300 miles.

I've read that the AS3 + are noisy from several guys. I'm on my second set of them and didn't have noise with either set. I wonder why they are noisy on some cars and not on others?

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
Everybody’s noise tolerance and hearing are different. i drove a few dieselgate cars when they came on the market and most had really loud tire noise, changed my mind on wanting to drive one. The PS4S Michelins that replaced the AS3, under their guarantee, are much quieter and don’t have that snow tire like tread whine. Admittedly my hearing is compromised. Those same AS3s on my MX5 were quiet. The crappy OEM AS Bridgestone on my other set of rims are quiet as well.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
General GMax/AS get my vote for " best all season within reason".
ie: they perform well but don't cost a shitload of money.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Had them on another car, worth spending extra on Contis.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

You could always give the Gmax RS a go when your Falkens wear out if you are on the fence about switching to all seasons. I'm 20k deep into mine now and they seem to be wearing like iron - barely half worn and for me that's fairly unprecedented. I've not once found myself wanting for grip either on spirited drives. I was actually thinking I'd try the FK510s when these wear out.... But it may be a while yet! So they wear quick then? I kinda thought that might be the downside to those given previous experience with other Falken tires.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie

I was looking at them the other night in 255/40/18 configuration, going for $123. To replace my PSS.

I was able to find some decent comparison on the Corvette forum comparing them to PSS.

Without putting heat into PSS, I'd think they would grip just as good off the light.

The new ps4s pull about .13 more Gs over the AS3+ (1 vs .87) in the E golf (recent road and track article)

I had their slightly older AS3 version on my prior s2 mk6, and from what i remember straight line acceleration was about the same as Direzza Z1 Star Spec. Those pilot sport AS3s were deadly in snow.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I think running the new as4 might be worth it in stock OE size - looks like a completely redesigned tire. OE tire on the new C8 if that means anything. The AS3 is a pretty old tire, the 'plus/+' version was to make it perform a bit better on the snow. I wouldn't trust this tire in the snow for the life of me. Stock OE p7s is a snow tire in comparison to how poorly pilot sport AS3 handled the white stuff.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Only reason I'm considering an AS, is I've read AS3 performs more like a summer tire and it's a great price. Otherwise I'd stick with summers.

You could always give the Gmax RS a go when your Falkens wear out if you are on the fence about switching to all seasons. I'm 20k deep into mine now and they seem to be wearing like iron - barely half worn and for me that's fairly unprecedented. I've not once found myself wanting for grip either on spirited drives. I was actually thinking I'd try the FK510s when these wear out.... But it may be a while yet! So they wear quick then? I kinda thought that might be the downside to those given previous experience with other Falken tires.

Yep. The GMax RS was going to be my next tire and still might be. But the Michelins are very tempting at $133 and it looks like another $120 rebate. Not sure if clearance qualifies.

And yes, they seem to wear quick, but I am very hard on tires I.e. A bad driver 😊

I was looking at them the other night in 255/40/18 configuration, going for $123. To replace my PSS.

I was able to find some decent comparison on the Corvette forum comparing them to PSS.

Without putting heat into PSS, I'd think they would grip just as good off the light.

The new ps4s pull about .13 more Gs over the AS3+ (1 vs .87) in the E golf (recent road and track article)

I had their slightly older AS3 version on my prior s2 mk6, and from what i remember straight line acceleration was about the same as Direzza Z1 Star Spec. Those pilot sport AS3s were deadly in snow.

That's a big difference in grip. Where did you see that comparison?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Yep. The GMax RS was going to be my next tire and still might be. But the Michelins are very tempting at $133 and it looks like another $120 rebate. Not sure if clearance qualifies.

And yes, they seem to wear quick, but I am very hard on tires I.e. A bad driver 😊

Take note, the $120 rebate is for more than $800 purchase, and at $133/tire you're looking at only an $80 rebate.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion