GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Sunroof switch replacement

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
If your sunroof is randomly opening or tilting by itself, it's time to replace the switch. The contacts seem to wear out or bend over time, causing it to malfunction.

If you're wondering, I would rate this as One Star, Extremely Easy. Like, if you aren't able to do this, you probably shouldn't handle any tool more dangerous than a spork.

This would also be a good way to get access for hardwiring a radar detector and/or a dashcam.

Parts required: 1K0 959 613 C 81U
1595421393343.jpeg

VW Parts Vortex: $116.15
VW Parts Center: 113.12
ECS Tuning: $128.98 + free shipping
VW Parts: $168.33
I recommend OEM. Other parts may work but may not be identical, and Chinese knockoffs always carry inherent quality risk.

Tools: T20 screwdriver, trim removal tool (butter knife works)

Begin by ensuring the sunroof is closed, and the switch is in the closed position. Then, remove the trim piece just forward of the glasses compartment. You might even be able to use your fingernails.

This will uncover two T20 screws. Remove them.

Next, disengage two small latches on the rear facing edge right above the screws.

The entire assembly will rotate down:

Disconnect the 3 connectors.

The Bluetooth microphone connector is the hardest. The plug has a little hook, and the socket has a latch you have to pry gently away from the connector:

Now, you're ready to remove the switch. I found it easiest to start with the latch closest to the metal strips:

It will pop right out.

Make sure the new switch is aligned with the "closed" position, shown by this molding:

...and insert it so the tabs are aligned with the proper notches.

Reconnect the 3 connectors and engage the front edge first before pushing the rear into place:

Reinstall the two T20 screws and snap the trim back into place.

Test to ensure proper operation and airworthiness, then reward yourself with an ice cold cherry bourbon + Dr. Pepper.

Congratulations, you just accomplished in 10 minutes what the dealer would charge you $400+ for.

Last edited:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Wow I have the same issue, weird thing is that I almost never use the sunroof throughout its 8 years. Guess I’ll replace it . Thanks for the post!