GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

torga

Autocross Champion
Is there any way to tell, without dismounting the tire from the wheel, if I have TPMS sensors installed? I have no conclusive evidence whether or not the previous owner just disabled TPMS in VCDS. My TPMS light has never come on during normal operation.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Let some air out of one of the tires. 10 pounds should do it.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Is there any way to tell, without dismounting the tire from the wheel, if I have TPMS sensors installed? I have no conclusive evidence whether or not the previous owner just disabled TPMS in VCDS. My TPMS light has never come on during normal operation.

Mine doesn't have any, it's wheel speed based, doesn't have a physical sensor.

But the answer to your question is yes. You would need a tpms reading tool, and hold it up to the wheel/tire

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
^ yeah that too. It's not TPMS as in there are sensors in the valve stem it uses the the wheel speed sensor.

If you press the reset light does it make the TPMS light blink? Maybe that would tell you if it's activated or not.

torga

Autocross Champion
^ yeah that too. It's not TPMS as in there are sensors in the valve stem it uses the the wheel speed sensor.

If you press the reset light does it make the TPMS light blink? Maybe that would tell you if it's activated or not.
Oh, if we've got passive sensors, then I don't need to do anything I suppose. I'm planning on wheels/tires soon, so was just game planning on how I'm gonna get them mounted and take them home to install.... was worried there would be sensors to swap over.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
No defintely not, I removed one not too long ago to tap into the tank for a meth install and didn't have to take the bumper off.

Good thing I didn't take the bumper off, the nozzles in the hood are clogged... And the rear washer doesn't spray either, not sure what I'm going to do about that.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Just cut the valve stem off so the government can't track you.

Euromeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed a new RacingLine magnetic drain plug during last oil change. It's been slowly leaking about 3-5 drops of oil down the pan every single day. I didn't notice any disturbed threads in the oil pan and was careful not to crossthread myself. I tightened it to 30 Nm. Is it possible that the surrounding rust is prohibiting a good seal?

IMG_0753 2.JPGIMG_0760 2.JPG

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Installed a new RacingLine magnetic drain plug during last oil change. It's been slowly leaking about 3-5 drops of oil down the pan every single day. I didn't notice any disturbed threads in the oil pan and was careful not to crossthread myself. I tightened it to 30 Nm. Is it possible that the surrounding rust is prohibiting a good seal?

View attachment 181679View attachment 181680

What kinda of crush washer did you use? If it was a flat one like most cars have it will leak. The one that has not given me any issues is kinda donut shaped. Idk why when you buy a drain plug they give you regular flat washers. Maybe on some cars they work but they leaked on mine and when I went to the dealer to get one they gave me a donut shaped one.
Here is a pic.
1596554015544.jpeg

GolNat

Autocross Champion
My ECS drain plug doesn’t leak but if you use the crush washers they give you it will.