GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex vs XL

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Was Vargas legit at anytime or he was just a huckster from the jump off?
Vargas had about 20 minutes where some people gave him the benefit of the doubt before everyone knew he was full of crap. Then Ed steam rolled him and he left the forums.
There was one guy on here who had a build thread going with a Vargas Turbo, then after he starting tuning, crickets... RIP @CrossFit67. Looks like he's not even on here anymore...

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Vargas known to rip people off on other platforms also (BMW etc)

the raw numbers from Ed's dyno or any dyno matter not at all, trap speeds are the only real thing that matters. It seems to me like EQT spool is faster than other similar turbos also which i find even more interesting than the raw power. Seems like at >500whp-ish the problems and unreliability on MQB platform becomes much more serious, so I think if i was doing a more serious build the goal would be to aim for something around there and then keep the spool and response as good as possible

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm sure there are but I haven't come across any. Besides, I think they have a mechanical/engine issue that's common with the N54 engine.

Isn't that the engine that Twist has in his M4? He's probably getting up there in HP now.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The M4's have the S55 engine I believe
Correct. S signifies an M motor. Which is somewhat confusing as M signified non M motors until they rolled to N designations and then B. The current 3.0L is the B58, and the X3 M and the next M3/M4 will use the S58.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Plenty of 700+ N54s out there, N55s have hit 800whp but not as many people have pushed the platform as hard yet. Those motors might eventually run into the same crank hub issues that the S55 is known for, but there aren't as many DCT N5x cars running as high of power as you can get on an S55 with simple hybrids. Then there's the n54 injectors, n54/early n55 hpfp, a million leaky gaskets, etc...

Vargas seems to do ok with their N54 hybrids, but their N55 hybrids are a total joke, they've been on preorder for 3, 4 years now? They had an n55 twin turbo product announcement that went nowhere too. Any time I see the guy he's just starting shit with people and usually ends up looking silly.

signkutter

Ready to race!
Both need full fueling to even scratch the reason why you'd buy either.

On these cars it seems the lag is basically negligible. Get the bigger one. Tuning and ethanol is 90% of it.

I ran an eqt XL on a small e blend and without fueling it would've just been slow. Like others said if you wanna stay stock for some reason go standard but an XL on just a tiny bit of e with mpi is going to feel snappier than a standard on 93.
As far as advertising goes, the Standard Vortex housing turbo spools quicker on pump gas than a stock IS38...is that not accurate?