GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm one of those gas cap idiots...

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I drove 300 miles before being alerted by the information display that my gas cap was not on. I had filled up on Thursday morning for a long trip on Friday. I had forgotten to put the cap back on. Apparantly later on my kid saw the flap partially open and closed it, but didn't know to check for the cap. This morning, 300 miles later, my car beeped at me to tell me to check the cap. Sure enough, it's off. I did not drive in dust or rain, it was all interstate, so is there any other damage that I may have caused?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Probably not. The cap seals the system for emissions (prevents vapor escape) and keeps things out like moisture. It's under slight vacuum to keep everything contained, so at most, some fuel vapor escaped. Happens to lots of folks without issue. Good thing you don't live in California though, they would have crushed your car 😁.

cb1111

I drove 300 miles before being alerted by the information display that my gas cap was not on. I had filled up on Thursday morning for a long trip on Friday. I had forgotten to put the cap back on. Apparantly later on my kid saw the flap partially open and closed it, but didn't know to check for the cap. This morning, 300 miles later, my car beeped at me to tell me to check the cap. Sure enough, it's off. I did not drive in dust or rain, it was all interstate, so is there any other damage that I may have caused?
Car is toast. Send me your address and I'll pick it up and drive it to the wrecking yard for you.

It is all good. Clear the code and it shouldn't come back. If it rained, then you might want to drive through that tank of gas pretty quickly.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I would have assumed the light would have came on sooner. Either way itz fine.