GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Went Stage 2 with EQT, not performing as expected. Logs included.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
I find this whole thread puzzling, due to the fact that a person would spend money for a Stage 2 tune without doing some of the necessaries first like colder plugs and especially an intercooler. I’d say the first modification should be intercooler if your plans are to start messing around with engine tunes. Would you all expect anything less than stellar results without the mentioned upgrades? That’s like buying a state of the art electric toothbrush and using water as the cleaner, just doesn’t make any sense.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I find this whole thread puzzling, due to the fact that a person would spend money for a Stage 2 tune without doing some of the necessaries first like colder plugs and especially an intercooler. I’d say the first modification should be intercooler if your plans are to start messing around with engine tunes. Would you all expect anything less than stellar results without the mentioned upgrades? That’s like buying a state of the art electric toothbrush and using water as the cleaner, just doesn’t make any sense.

I agree. Actually they should get an IC even if they aren't tuning at all if they live where it gets hot.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG

I agree. Actually they should get an IC even if they aren't tuning at all if they live where it gets hot.

I suppose I didnt think it through all the way. I knew I would need new plugs asap (which are on the way), but I didnt think that not having an upgraded intercooler would cause this many problems. The most I have read about is just losing some pulling power once things get heatsoaked. However from what it looks like, I am having knock issues regardless of IATs. The knocking is present immediately despite the intercooler not being heatsoaked yet. Now if I was doing back to back runs with high intake temps I would not be complaining about power loss since its completely expected. But doing a single pull on a cool night, I dont think its the intercooler causing the issues in that scenario. However I also don't know as much about this stuff as many of you on here, so its all a learning process. In the future someone else will stumble upon this thread and find my struggles and poor planning helpful in their quest to fix whatever problems they are experiencing.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I do have E85 nearby but I was hoping to not have to mix gas every tank. I just want it all to work and not have to mess with that stuff, its still a daily driver afterall.

Realistically, mixing adds about 30 seconds to my fuel stops so I don't mind it (I actually plan to go E30 as soon as its released anyway), it would add less if the pumps didn't need to ask me so many questions.

Also, on plugs, like I said I paid $160 for the plugs once from FCP. Next time I purchase new ones and they will refund the old ones so its just $3-5 shipping to replace them. Yeah they have the RS7 plugs too, but I figured if I am paying once I might as well go for the good stuff.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Realistically, mixing adds about 30 seconds to my fuel stops so I don't mind it (I actually plan to go E30 as soon as its released anyway), it would add less if the pumps didn't need to ask me so many questions.

Also, on plugs, like I said I paid $160 for the plugs once from FCP. Next time I purchase new ones and they will refund the old ones so its just $3-5 shipping to replace them. Yeah they have the RS7 plugs too, but I figured if I am paying once I might as well go for the good stuff.
Im not aware of this trade in program for FCP, how does it work? Is it like how autozone somehow refunds you for your duralast brake pads or battery when they wear out?

I see they have two different NGK Racing plugs, the -8 and -9, I assume the -8 is the preferred one to use. Im curious, it says the Denso is commonly used in IS38 upgrades, how does this make it a bad choice for stage 2?

As far as fuel goes, the only station with E85 (or any ethanol blend) is 10 miles from me, whereas my preferred stations (Shell and Costco) are just down the street. If I had ethanol nearby I'd do it in a heartbeat.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Im not aware of this trade in program for FCP, how does it work? Is it like how autozone somehow refunds you for your duralast brake pads or battery when they wear out?

I see they have two different NGK Racing plugs, the -8 and -9, I assume the -8 is the preferred one to use. Im curious, it says the Denso is commonly used in IS38 upgrades, how does this make it a bad choice for stage 2?

As far as fuel goes, the only station with E85 (or any ethanol blend) is 10 miles from me, whereas my preferred stations (Shell and Costco) are just down the street. If I had ethanol nearby I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, lifetime warranty on everything. Basically you buy the new part (so you do pay the $160 upfront on the new plugs), then when the old one is out you start a warranty return on the purchase of it (the original old part purchase, they are pretty strict) and send it back. You will then get a refund on that original purchase. Its pretty simple and they do it on everything, I use it for oil filters but not oil (because shipping on oil is like $25 and I pay $24 for my oil anyway).

-8 is what I run on stage 1, on stage 2 you could run either but the -9 has more chance of fouling if its too cold and you don't get on the throttle often enough. Ed recommends -9 for anything IS38 or above IIRC. I think the Densos have had problems failing in the past, but I can't remember what threads they were discussing it in, most companies have moved away from recommending them afaik. I plan on swapping plugs every 10k, shipping is cheap.

And that makes sense on fuel, I do know dudes that will drive 20 minutes here to get the E90 at the two stations that carry it. But I am lucky that I have decent E50 nearby that works for me since I blend. Its a mile from home and a mile from work. I just know how much the blend helped with my knock so its worth it to me.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
But I am lucky that I have decent E50 nearby that works for me since I blend. Its a mile from home and a mile from work. I just know how much the blend helped with my knock so its worth it to me.
I have one that close as well, but I guess the part I can't mentally wrap my head around is how you get your blend right. Depending how full your tank is, you never know if the mix you created results in E20-E50. I feel like with a tune for 93, at least you have consistency. The blend could be all over the place.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Anyone running the Rutheniums with EQT? I had bought some for my '16 to install but since I ended up trading, I never used them.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
My gawd Moto, only 10 miles to get E and mitigate the crappy CA 91? AND decrease KR and keep timing up? C'mon, you can do it, I know ya can 😁. FWIW, I fill E85 at one station and drives a couple more miles to the Shell where the fuel is much better than the 93 offered at my E station. Now the heat from not having a decent intercooler? Well, shoulda spent the tune money on that first ;). Won't bust your balls on the plug issue, but..........

Please don't complain about no "Oh Shit" feelings with all that going on. Do it properly, make some concessions with convenience on fuel etc. and I guarantee you'll be surprised at the difference.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I have one that close as well, but I guess the part I can't mentally wrap my head around is how you get your blend right. Depending how full your tank is, you never know if the mix you created results in E20-E50. I feel like with a tune for 93, at least you have consistency. The blend could be all over the place.

Ethanol sensor. $180
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JCCWGF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FgUgFb0YB4JFQ

As for stations being too far, just buy some 5 gallon jugs. I have 4 of them. They last 6 weeks.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Anyone running the Rutheniums with EQT? I had bought some for my '16 to install but since I ended up trading, I never used them.

Yep, worked fine. Back on Brisk 12s, mainly cuz it's hot AF and I don't want to lose much, but no noticeable difference. No increase/decrease in misfire counts on OBD11 either. Toss up except for gap erosion on the Brisks. Maybe more so now on Stage 2 E30, we'll see.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I suppose I didnt think it through all the way. I knew I would need new plugs asap (which are on the way), but I didnt think that not having an upgraded intercooler would cause this many problems. The most I have read about is just losing some pulling power once things get heatsoaked. However from what it looks like, I am having knock issues regardless of IATs. The knocking is present immediately despite the intercooler not being heatsoaked yet. Now if I was doing back to back runs with high intake temps I would not be complaining about power loss since its completely expected. But doing a single pull on a cool night, I dont think its the intercooler causing the issues in that scenario. However I also don't know as much about this stuff as many of you on here, so its all a learning process. In the future someone else will stumble upon this thread and find my struggles and poor planning helpful in their quest to fix whatever problems they are experiencing.

I wasn't saying that the lack of an IC was causing your problem.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Yep, worked fine. Back on Brisk 12s, mainly cuz it's hot AF and I don't want to lose much, but no noticeable difference. No increase/decrease in misfire counts on OBD11 either. Toss up except for gap erosion on the Brisks. Maybe more so now on Stage 2 E30, we'll see.

Do you have a log of a full pull to redline by any chance? Mine is the only one on this tune that I've seen.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Been using the Rutheniums with EQT Stage 2 for some time, no issues.