GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I doubt I'll ever track my car and I have no need to swap pads quickly. Is this the only benefit?
That and pad selection are benefits of the Macan setup over the TTS.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
You can get really cheap pads for the Macan since they share pads with some pretty common cars. Not sure what the pad selection is like for the TTS, but just on quick glance it's pretty unique

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I have a question for you guys;

If you could get a set of TTS callipers for $300 less than Macan callipers would you still choose Macan?

I've had these for a couple of months, and I've swapped pads about 7 times already. So yeah... Macan for the win.

Also, with new Macan calipers being sub $500, if you can get a set of nice TTS calipers for $200, that's a pretty good deal.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I doubt I'll ever track my car and I have no need to swap pads quickly. Is this the only benefit?

The Macan calipers say "Porsche" on them. Maybe that's worth it to you? :)

The reality is that the stock brakes with good pads are perfectly fine for any driving outside of actual track driving, so anything else just "for looks".

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
You can get really cheap pads for the Macan since they share pads with some pretty common cars. Not sure what the pad selection is like for the TTS, but just on quick glance it's pretty unique

OEM and I think iSweep make pads for the TTS. Definitely more limited selection.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
EBC, Ferodo, Brembo, G-loc and Bosch all now make pads for the TTS although I think they may be more expensive than those for the Macan calliper.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
OEM and I think iSweep make pads for the TTS. Definitely more limited selection.

For the Macan calipers, there are tons of pad options for $25 on RockAuto. Because it's the same pad as so many other common cars. No reason to buy fancy pads since you're not actually taxing the brakes. In comparison, RockAuto doesn't even sell a pad for the front of the TTS.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
For the Macan calipers, there are tons of pad options for $25 on RockAuto. Because it's the same pad as so many other common cars. No reason to buy fancy pads since you're not actually taxing the brakes. In comparison, RockAuto doesn't even sell a pad for the front of the TTS.

That doesn’t surprise me considering how few cars have the TTS pads and how many cars share the Macan pad shape.

Like you said though, $200 for TTS calipers is deal. I sold my PP calipers for more than that lol.

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Ok
So I'm not potentially getting TTS callipers for $200 ... lol ... that would be far too good tome true.
Over here in the UK, Macan callipers are around £550 which is about $700 at the current exchange rate.
I may have the chance of getting some good used TTS callipers for £350 which is about $445
That equates to a $255 saving (not £300 ... sorry got my exchange rate a little wrong)
As I will be getting them professionally painted I'm happy to pay less for used callipers as they will look new once finished.
I'm more than happy with the stopping power of my stock brakes and am doing the conversion primarily for visual purposes but with the added bonus of better braking which will be utilised for a planned trip to the Nurburgring in Germany.
I appreciate the TTS choice of pads is both more expensive and limited but I won't be swapping out my pads until they are worn and just require a good all round pad for spirited driving.
I think I may have been wrong about Ferodo doing pads (ds2500) for the TTS callipers, but EBC definitely do both red & yellow pads.
More importantly, although at almost double the price of OE pads (£70 in the UK) I've discovered that Tarox do a Strada pad (£134 in the UK ) which are pretty much perfect for fast road use. (in comparison the Tarox Strada is £214 for the Macan calliper)
I appreciate you can get very cheap pads for the Macan callipers but I would never put a cheap product on something that is so important on any vehicle no matter what calliper I was using.
Food for thought thats for sure.
As a side note, If I could get some 2nd hand Macan / Q5 callipesr for the same price as the TTS I may have ether opportunity go getting I would choose Macan / Q5 so I could use a larger disc .😀

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
For context, I think when the posts above mentioned cheap pads it's because of volume, not because of quality. Correct me if I'm wrong everyone.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
For context, I think when the posts above mentioned cheap pads it's because of volume, not because of quality. Correct me if I'm wrong everyone.

EBC "red" pads are a boring, every day, daily driving pad, which are similar to the majority of auto parts store brake pads you'll find on Rockauto that I was comparing against. Once you step up to actual performance pads, then yeah, the cost goes up.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
I mean I got a set of Centric Posi-quiets ceramic pads for $28 CAD. Perfect for daily driving. Very low dust and noise, low performance, but I'm not trying to set any land speed records on public roads. Definitely a quality pad for what I want in a daily pad.

There's certainly bottom of the barrel type of pads when going cheap on rockauto, but there's definitely cheap pads that are of OEM quality to be had if you get creative with which shared model you look into (STi, Camaro, etc)

vwlotech

Go Kart Newbie
has anyone found a pad set they like from FCP euro? would be nice to take advantage of their lifetime replacement offerings, I have a second question on wheel fitments, I didn't see these on the list (thanks for that by the way) Rotiform BLQ's 18x8.5 et45, APR 18x8.5 et45 and the stock R Cadiz 19x8 et50,
thanks again for all the assistance, plans are to track the car a few times a year, but looking for a good pad for "spirited" drives on the daily

Last edited:

jtsherri

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Pretty psyched to report that both my summer and winter wheels will fit with room to spare (no spacers required).

They are as follows -

Wheel Brand: eBay
Model: RS6 S line ('style' / knock-offs)
Spacer: 0
Size: 17"x7.5"
ET: 35
Fit: Yes
Notes: Post 797

e1.jpeg

(Note: this image was taken to show the entire wheel style - it did not have a hub centric spacer in place to align the lug holes, but the pictures below are with me holding it in position, which displays proper clearances.)

e2.jpeg

e3.jpeg

Wheel Brand: WedsSport
Model: TC-105x
Spacer: 0
Size: 18"x8.5"
ET: 43
Fit: Yes
Notes: Post 797

w1.jpeg

w2.jpeg

w3.jpeg

Obviously the install is still in progress, so I'll post an 'after' pic when I'm finished (might be a few days, since I have a bunch of other stuff going on at the same time).