GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe with stock catback

tristanr

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Ever since I installed the APR catted downpipe to my GTI I’ve noticed a tinny, high pitched, metallic, air-puffy like sound that comes from front-mid section of the exhaust when accelerating next to walls or other cars. I’ve got it welded in so not a leak and I’m almost certain it’s not hitting anything and I’ve checked all the heat shields— so, is this normal? Would exhaust wrap maybe damped our those unpleasant noises? Cold starts in the morning is when it sounds the worst. When parked on grass, can’t hear it at all, but when parked on solid surfaces sounds like it’s reflecting off the ground.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Probably a loose exhaust clamp of v-band.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
How was the turbo gasket when you installed the DP?

tristanr

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
No evidence of leaks; I notice I can also make the sound go away on cold startup if I give it a little throttle and bring the revs to about 11-1200, but the sputtery-air sound returns if I let it return to idle. I’ll try to get a recording of it tomorrow.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I noticed it immediately after installing the downpipe in December. Could it be? Wouldn’t I I have other symptoms? I only have a code for the cat-efficiency since I haven’t tuned yet.
I get a weird sound that almost sounds like pissing air but it comes from the engine bay, and its the loudest on cold starts. I also hear it when driving next to a wall or some other hard surface. I didnt have it before the downpipe but have had it since installation 2 years ago. I just went stage 2 and still have the sound on cold starts, so I am not sure what it is. Its definitely not an exhaust leak and I have been under the car more than enough times to promise its not a rubbing issue. Its coming straight from the turbo.

tristanr

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI
So I am able to hear it on video. There’s a distinct sound difference between feathering the throttle and the idle. During idle, I hear a sputtery metallic leak sound. Normal? Only really happens on cold start.