GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
i typically run samples on all the oil i run. a bit excessive but it's the best way to tell. red line oil has a lot of moly in it, multiple times more than most boutique oils

I run Redline in the GTI. Awesome oil and yes it's got a lot of moly in it from the UOA I had done.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I'm just wondering if running a higher level (Group 5) synthetic oil with more friction modifiers like Moly would help keep it cooler. These engines seem to shear the hell out of some oil.

Testing is certainly the best way to check. I have sent a few samples in.
Yeah they probably do. My approach has always been to just change the oil after every event.

I’ll fully admit to not being anything close to an expert on any of this and most people here are pushing significantly more boost through their engines. But what I understand from reading and trying to understand is that extended exposure to high heat isn’t good for oil life, but modern oils should hold up over a track weekend.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Back when the earth was still cooling I ran dinosaur oil that came out of the ground. Valvoline 20w50 Racing earl. The only problem I had was if I went over the hill at turn 8 while at mid-Ohio I'd get a brief flash of the oil light. The fix was to run an extra quart. The propper fix was to build a windage tray to keep the oil where it belonged. The longest I would run was 2 hours with no apparent oil issues.

Oh this was on a 1979 Plymouth Fire Arrow, not a GTI. Sorry, did it again..... :D

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Yeah they probably do. My approach has always been to just change the oil after every event.

I’ll fully admit to not being anything close to an expert on any of this and most people here are pushing significantly more boost through their engines. But what I understand from reading and trying to understand is that extended exposure to high heat isn’t good for oil life, but modern oils should hold up over a track weekend.
I used to change it after every event. That gets expensive fast, I started going 4-5 events now after sending my oil in for analysis a few times.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Back when the earth was still cooling I ran dinosaur oil that came out of the ground. Valvoline 20w50 Racing earl. The only problem I had was if I went over the hill at turn 8 while at mid-Ohio I'd get a brief flash of the oil light. The fix was to run an extra quart. The propper fix was to build a windage tray to keep the oil where it belonged. The longest I would run was 2 hours with no apparent oil issues.

Oh this was on a 1979 Plymouth Fire Arrow, not a GTI. Sorry, did it again..... :D

Kept the license plate on? Did you drive the car to the track? :cool:(y)

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I used to change it after every event. That gets expensive fast, I started going 4-5 events now after sending my oil in for analysis a few times.
It’s been a decade since I’ve run more than a few events in a year, so that’s a lesson I’ve forgotten. I had planned six this year but then the plague happened.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I also changed oil after every track weekend. Not cheap, but neither are engines. The modern oils are much better. With oil analysis it takes the worry away.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yes I did. Believe it or not it was my daily driver. :LOL: I also ran Pro Rally with it. Change the springs bolt on some lights & ready for rally the stages. :D

LOOOOOOOVE the paint job you had. Very reminiscent of the now-classic TRD livery, but with a cool, black twist. Looks awesome. That Fire Arrow even vaguely looks like a '75-'77 TA23 Celica 😜

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
LOOOOOOOVE the paint job you had. Very reminiscent of the now-classic TRD livery, but with a cool, black twist. Looks awesome. That Fire Arrow even vaguely looks like a '75-'77 TA23 Celica 😜

I agree, and then when I think about it, the Fire Arrow is just a rebadged Mitsubishi Celeste...which was in the same market segment as the Toyota Celica. A friend of mine tracks his '73 Celica, and I have a major soft spot for those cars.

19092610_1178619522283866_8400643051369558073_o.jpg

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Chrysler used to pay us pretty good contingency money. Once they started selling the Omni & Horizon, they stopped paying us guys racing their imports. Seems they didn't like their imported Colts & Arrows beating their new cars. At that time my car became Mitsubishi Celeste. It was funny I'd enter a race as driving a Celeste & people didn't know what that was. :LOL:

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Oil cooler install is done, went fairly smooth. Notice about 15 degrees lower in summer traffic, of course the real test will be at the next track day.

2FF83C46-FB92-4E05-9101-41FB5E7F4554.jpeg
B917E914-52C9-4979-BA81-E71A37810A15.jpeg

I signed up for SCCA Track Night event at Dominion Raceway on Sept 3rd. With a $25 off promo the final cost is only $135 for 3x 30 min sessions. Anyone interested in going?

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Some of the mk7 guys are testing gt3 brake fins vs rs3 brake fins that mount to the control arms. Since I've been really slacking on finishing up the brake ducting project I figured I might give the gt3 fins a try. They are 4 bucks each, might have to cut them up to get them to fit but for less than 10 who cares.

20200725_155741.jpg

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I had a set and couldn't find a way to mount them that made me feel comfortable.

Some of the mk7 guys are testing gt3 brake fins vs rs3 brake fins that mount to the control arms. Since I've been really slacking on finishing up the brake ducting project I figured I might give the gt3 fins a try. They are 4 bucks each, might have to cut them up to get them to fit but for less than 10 who cares.