GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are they still making GTI's

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I think with OPF the new standard on VWs, they ditched MPI as i recall.
Yes to both - at least one the UK. The mk7.5 GTI Performance and R models got an OPF and no MPI. I’m assuming this was also the case on European GTI’s and R’s.

codypka

Go Kart Champion
I kinda want a sunroof too, and I'm thinking the Rabbit didn't have one. Though I know that VW sunroofs can bring trouble. My wife's Golf Wolfsburg has one and it's fun. We use it all the time. Hers has been great, no leaks, no squeaks.

The sunroofs are a roll of the dice

IMO the Rabbit would be 100% trim if only it had the nicer infotainment with the fender audio

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
My wife just bought a 2020 GTI yesterday. We were going to wait until the fall, but the 0% financing convinced us to do it now. That and what the dealer said about inventory. For us, it has to be VW, must be manual transmission and has to be a hatchback or wagon. That severely limits the amount of available cars. For example there were 7 cars in all of new york state and none at the factory that met those conditions. With covid-19 reducing inventory and the factories struggling to catch up, he said they would be focusing first on Tiguan's and Jetta's because they sell 300 of them for every 1 golf/gti. He was doubtful inventory will be any better in the fall. Add the fact that they aren't going to sell MK8 golfs in the US, only GTI's and R's, which will be made in Germany and it just doesn't seem like the 2021 Golf or GTI will be much of a priority at all for the Mexico plant.

Supposedly, there are making a 2021 GTI for the US, but how many?

low on 2020 inventory? my local VW dealer has had the same two 2020 Dark iron blue gti’s in his lot since January. Don’t think they have sold any 2020 gti this year unless someone ordered something different

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
low on 2020 inventory? my local VW dealer has had the same two 2020 Dark iron blue gti’s in his lot since January. Don’t think they have sold any 2020 gti this year unless someone ordered something different

Yeah here in Southern Wisc. NO ONE seems to be buying new GTIs or doing trade ins. I frequently check the inventories of the dealers within an hour of me and the same cars have been on their lots since at least around the time the pandemic started. There is a new 2019 SE DSG not far from me that has been on the lot since November!

walker

Go Kart Newbie
well, supply and demand is a double edge sword isn't it? If no one is buying them, the manufacturer is not exactly jumping at the chance to build a ton of them.

Your anecdotal evidence is not only suggesting that nobody is buying new cars, which would make sense in a pandemic, in a recession, with so many people out of work. But if those dealers have had the same inventory for months, it also means they aren't getting any new inventory, because the factory isn't making any. The guys point was that when manufacturing gets going again, US golf gtis are not going to be a priority, especially not manual transmissions. So you might have to wait for them to build thousands of tiguans before they send a new golf to the lot in Wisconsin.

Which means in my case, with a deadline of October, my choices are probably going to be limited to options which already exist on lots. So if I were in IL, then I could choose either that Iron Blue DSG, or the other Iron Blue DSG sitting next to it. And once those are gone, I guess I could get a Jetta like everyone else? (I just threw up in my mouth a little).

My dealer in NY had no manual anythings on the day I was there, and none in the factory queue. In all of NYS he found 7, and our GTI had to come from another dealer 200 miles away. By contrast, when I bought my 2012 GTI that same dealer had 20+ GTI's in the lot on any given day, with at least 1 or 2 of every trim/transmission.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
well, supply and demand is a double edge sword isn't it? If no one is buying them, the manufacturer is not exactly jumping at the chance to build a ton of them.

Your anecdotal evidence is not only suggesting that nobody is buying new cars, which would make sense in a pandemic, in a recession, with so many people out of work. But if those dealers have had the same inventory for months, it also means they aren't getting any new inventory, because the factory isn't making any. The guys point was that when manufacturing gets going again, US golf gtis are not going to be a priority, especially not manual transmissions. So you might have to wait for them to build thousands of tiguans before they send a new golf to the lot in Wisconsin.

Which means in my case, with a deadline of October, my choices are probably going to be limited to options which already exist on lots. So if I were in IL, then I could choose either that Iron Blue DSG, or the other Iron Blue DSG sitting next to it. And once those are gone, I guess I could get a Jetta like everyone else? (I just threw up in my mouth a little).

My dealer in NY had no manual anythings on the day I was there, and none in the factory queue. In all of NYS he found 7, and our GTI had to come from another dealer 200 miles away. By contrast, when I bought my 2012 GTI that same dealer had 20+ GTI's in the lot on any given day, with at least 1 or 2 of every trim/transmission.

they got a bunch of new SUV’s in, for some odd reason suvs are popular right now.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
they got a bunch of new SUV’s in, for some odd reason suvs are popular right now.

SUV's popular now? Why do you think so many manufacturers have stopped making small cars? SUV's have been a craze for years now. Even VW quit making the regular Golf.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
SUV's popular now? Why do you think so many manufacturers have stopped making small cars? SUV's have been a craze for years now. Even VW quit making the regular Golf.

it was the opposite back in like 2010 when gas prices were higher, couldn’t sell SUVs and hybrids, fuel efficient cars were popular. Funny how things change

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
it was the opposite back in like 2010 when gas prices were higher, couldn’t sell SUVs and hybrids, fuel efficient cars were popular. Funny how things change

True and the manufacturers who discontinued small cars will have a problem if gas prices go way up again. It's mostly the Japanese car manufacturers who have kept their full lineup of cars.