GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are they still making GTI's

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15GTISE-MT/08CivicSI
I was thinking of trading in my 15SE for that White Silver Autobahn to get the DCC and AC repair.
Are they even making the GTI's anymore for the USA, or is it all done till 2022 model.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I was planning to pull trigger on a MK7.5 towards the end of this platform (MY21) after i sold my 2016. But i pulled the trigger last year as 2019s had People's warranty and got a great deal on the limited Rabbit trim.

People are getting great deals on brand new 2019 leftovers and might be worth looking if People's warranty is a good thing in your eyes.

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15GTISE-MT/08CivicSI
I think there is going to be a 2021 MK7.5 from what I've read. It would be cool if they made a special edition before the MK8 release.
Yeah, i hope they do that. Im hoping for some crazy colors like burnt orange or I liked that cornflower blue, even green. I kinda thought they'd release it soon if that was the plan.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
I think there is going to be a 2021 MK7.5 from what I've read. It would be cool if they made a special edition before the MK8 release.
I think you're correct; there will be 2021 Mk7.5s. And, I agree -- it will be cool if VoA comes up with a special edition, particularly if production of the U.S. Mk8 GTIs and Rs is further delayed. Thanks for bringing up the possibility. I'll hold out for that.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I think you're correct; there will be 2021 Mk7.5s. And, I agree -- it will be cool if VoA comes up with a special edition, particularly if production of the U.S. Mk8 GTIs and Rs is further delayed. Thanks for bringing up the possibility. I'll hold out for that.

If they do make a special edition that would be perfect timing for me because I will have paid off enough of my 2018 to sell it and use the extra cash for a nice down payment. I still can't decide if I like the MK8, I was especially disappointed after seeing the cost cutting video that has been circulating showing how cheap the new digital dash looks.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
cost of special editions is not much. All they are is a trim level (Sport/Rabbit) Although the idea of a Rabbit edition is cool they aren't much different than any GTI. I still THINK they'll hold value somewhat better I wouldn't bet retirement on it. I did like the content level on both the Sport and Rabbit but when I bought mine Sport was the option. For ME content level was perfect (lights/decent stereo/LSD/nice rims). I assume they'll make new ones and some special edition would not be a surprise.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Its easy to create special / limited trims like Rabbit or Sport on paper with existing parts from VAG catalog. But it involves a lot of effort and resources based on my experience working in OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers. I highly doubt if VWoA is going to invest that effort on a last MY vehicle which doesnt sell well (our market prefers jacked up UVs).

Its highly unlikely that NA is going to see any final edition for MY21. I would be happy if VWoA proves me wrong.

Here is a link to the ideal MK7 final edition thread which i created a while ago - https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/your-ideal-final-edition-mk7-gti.361521/

walker

Go Kart Newbie
My wife just bought a 2020 GTI yesterday. We were going to wait until the fall, but the 0% financing convinced us to do it now. That and what the dealer said about inventory. For us, it has to be VW, must be manual transmission and has to be a hatchback or wagon. That severely limits the amount of available cars. For example there were 7 cars in all of new york state and none at the factory that met those conditions. With covid-19 reducing inventory and the factories struggling to catch up, he said they would be focusing first on Tiguan's and Jetta's because they sell 300 of them for every 1 golf/gti. He was doubtful inventory will be any better in the fall. Add the fact that they aren't going to sell MK8 golfs in the US, only GTI's and R's, which will be made in Germany and it just doesn't seem like the 2021 Golf or GTI will be much of a priority at all for the Mexico plant.

Supposedly, there are making a 2021 GTI for the US, but how many?

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
"neat colors, pretoria, 6sp" - That's the Rabbit GTI. Go buy that and i wouldn't hold breath for a special edition 2021, especially if there's no word of it.

I kinda want a sunroof too, and I'm thinking the Rabbit didn't have one. Though I know that VW sunroofs can bring trouble. My wife's Golf Wolfsburg has one and it's fun. We use it all the time. Hers has been great, no leaks, no squeaks.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion