GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Surprise Speaker Damage - Passenger Door

gx33

Ready to race!
Hoping somebody can help me find the cause of this unexpected damage to the speaker mount in the passenger door.

Long story short: I am the first owner of this 2015 GTI- I was replacing the passenger side door mirror and when I had the door off, I noticed the speaker mount/surround was melted and cracked on the bottom two rivets- the rest are absolutely perfect. The door card has never been removed before.

Anybody know how this happened, or how to prevent whatever caused this from happening again?

Attachments

• 44A75EF6-5695-44C3-9C15-66B7F473214F.jpeg
    44A75EF6-5695-44C3-9C15-66B7F473214F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 282
  • BBD35FA2-659C-4C3D-BE1D-E0689EC189E2.jpeg
    BBD35FA2-659C-4C3D-BE1D-E0689EC189E2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 236
  • 32BC3D56-E088-43F1-B87D-2DD2D0BBB6A7.jpeg
    32BC3D56-E088-43F1-B87D-2DD2D0BBB6A7.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 276

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Heat gun melted the plastic and or soldering iron..basically the plastic has cracked & its been badly repaired...

Also the bottom of the speaker is sticking out & looks a bad fit....

Door has been damaged which affected the speaker...&/or bad repair......or the speakers had the bad water ingress problem & owner did a DIY & used too much sealant & the wrong rivets & cracked the speaker plastic...

gx33

Ready to race!
Heat gun melted the plastic and or soldering iron..basically the plastic has cracked & its been badly repaired...

Also the bottom of the speaker is sticking out & looks a bad fit....

Door has been damaged which affected the speaker...&/or bad repair......or the speakers had the bad water ingress problem & owner did a DIY & used too much sealant & the wrong rivets & cracked the speaker plastic...
Thanks for the reply,

I would agree, but I am the first and only owner of the car. The door has never been off or damaged and the speaker has never been repaired or replaced, and the rest of the rivets are perfect. Just the bottom two rivets are like this.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the reply,

I would agree, but I am the first and only owner of the car. The door has never been off or damaged and the speaker has never been repaired or replaced, and the rest of the rivets are perfect. Just the bottom two rivets are like this.

So you bought it new in 2015?...

If so then do you know that a dealer can fix up to 3 panels on a new car that has "damage in transit" without having to tell the owner??...or has the car been elsewhere in someone elses hands & then they did the damage & then repair?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
They all pretty much crack because of the rivets. When I repaired my rear door leaks, both sides the mounting ears had cracks. I wouldn't worry about it.

gx33

Ready to race!
So you bought it new in 2015?...

If so then do you know that a dealer can fix up to 3 panels on a new car that has "damage in transit" without having to tell the owner??...or has the car been elsewhere in someone elses hands & then they did the damage & then repair?

Yes - I bought it brand new In 2014. It’s never been in anybody else’s hands.

I guess You’re right something could have happened at the dealership lot before I ever bought the car. Just shocked to see such a poor repair job If that was the case, even by hackJob standards this was a weak repair attempt. it’s hard to tell in the pictures but the plastic is just disintegrating all around the area.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
This is interesting but I have no clue. I would be surprised at a dealer opening this up to do a repair (that would have him/her noticing a problem). 12 vdc so that eliminates shorts. I would put this into the weird pile. I also can't imagine this as a factory "fix"

idk

Mud (also from CT)

edit: poor fill from speaker molding doubtfull cause two...one I might believe

gx33

Ready to race!
This is interesting but I have no clue. I would be surprised at a dealer opening this up to do a repair (that would have him/her noticing a problem). 12 vdc so that eliminates shorts. I would put this into the weird pile. I also can't imagine this as a factory "fix"

idk

Mud (also from CT)

edit: poor fill from speaker molding doubtfull cause two...one I might believe

I think it’s weird too, as the top two rivets look untouched (Pic) and the speaker seal is OEM

I guess I will be drilling them all out anyways 😓

Attachments

• 52462E66-9841-4B89-AA1B-34148F897A12.jpeg
    52462E66-9841-4B89-AA1B-34148F897A12.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 199

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Maybe they removed the bottom two rivets & hinged the speaker upwards to get a thin tool behind the speaker to tackle the door check strap???

gx33

Ready to race!
Maybe they removed the bottom two rivets & hinged the speaker upwards to get a thin tool behind the speaker to tackle the door check strap???

Was that a TSB? It’s certainly possible if the door was removed at some point, and If thats the only way to access the door strap

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
if they were going to drill two and hinge it why not 4? I assume aluminum rivits so easy drill.

edit^^ do you want a new car? Are you willing to use this as an excuse?

gx33

Ready to race!
if they were going to drill two and hinge it why not 4? I assume aluminum rivits so easy drill.

edit^^ do you want a new car? Are you willing to use this as an excuse?

😂get out of my head

It’s a letdown when you meticulously maintain a vehicle only to take it apart and find hidden treasures like this. I won’t put the door back on without sorting it first. But I’m not going to go ripping the rest of the door cards off either

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wow, that looks like a factory hack at VW. Good thing you didn't notice it until now.

I'd start wondering what else is wrong with the car.. so glad you are not me.

It would have been a better thing if he saw it while it was under warranty.