GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's a logical amount of money to spend modding?

JW_A3

Car(s)
2015 A3 2.0TFSI
What they mean by this is that if you buy a car for $20K and put $10K into mods for that car, could you have gotten into the next car tier up for that total of $30K (you can use whatever numbers you want for this example)? If you answer yes to that question than you've probably spent too much on mods.

This is true, but I slightly disagree based on my experience buying my car . When I was looking for a car to replace my totaled civic, I got quoted $2200 CAD a year for insurance on a 2014 A5 that I wanted to buy, and $1750 for a 2014 A4. I ended up buying My A3 only because it was the cheapest for insurance. It was quoted at $1000 per year.

With the money I'm saving each year compared to a better or higher spec car, I could upgrade my car to be like an S3 (golf R basically) or better and my insurance won't change.

In hindsight, should have gotten a quote for an S3 or Golf R at the time..

mclieberman

new tires + stage 1 tune + rear sway bar is logical; the amount of performance you get out of those 3 is HUGE. I got a JB1 used for like $150 bucks, sway was like $200 I think and new tires was close to 1k (super sports as3+). Anything past that isn't "logical" (imo) but not a bad thing! I dont think mods past that should be frowned upon, I was just sticking to the OP question of what I think is logical.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
new tires + stage 1 tune + rear sway bar is logical; the amount of performance you get out of those 3 is HUGE. I got a JB1 used for like $150 bucks, sway was like $200 I think and new tires was close to 1k (super sports as3+). Anything past that isn't "logical" (imo) but not a bad thing! I dont think mods past that should be frowned upon, I was just sticking to the OP question of what I think is logical.

You paid almost 1K for a set of AS3+ tires?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Let's see, I am roughly 11k mods deep and still adding more... Not sure I see an end in sight anytime soon as I still have plans until it's "done."

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty lucky so far with this car's budget, I was able to offset half the cost of the brake and wheel upgrade by selling the stock PP brakes and 18" Pretorias and stock tires, bought AP used, and took RSB from my previous mk7. It gets expensive from here on out though. IC, oil cooler, turbo, radiator and a few more tweaks to the suspension. If you don't add up the costs, it helps. Just call it your hobby and ignore how much you've spent on a depreciating asset.

Last edited: