GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hood won’t open!

KrisTR

Car(s)
MK5 GTi
Need some help guys, I own a MK5 GTi, does anyone know how I can open the hood when the release cable has snapped from the release mechanism? I am really struggling!

Cheers,
Kris

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Hey Kris,

You can take the drivers side wheel off, fender liner off, and then you should be able to reach your arm up there and grab the cable to release the latch. Have had to do this a few times when I forgot to re connect the cable to to mechanism when taking the front clip off.

KrisTR

Car(s)
MK5 GTi
Hi Jay, thank you for the reply. The cable is not attached at all to the release mechanism, I think it’s the small metal nipple that may have broken. Any other ideas?

KrisTR

Car(s)
MK5 GTi
Thanks again for the reply Jay, as mentioned the cable snapped at the attachment point, there is nothing to grab with pliers, I took off the badge and can see it’s completely off the release mechanism.

KrisTR

Car(s)
MK5 GTi
Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately as mentioned before, the nipple that attaches the cable to the release mechanism has snapped (rust I imagine) so the micks garage video doesn’t really help as his is still attached. Any other suggestions? @GTI’s @3carmonte

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
This, at 1:10, shows what to catch so to release it.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately as mentioned before, the nipple that attaches the cable to the release mechanism has snapped (rust I imagine) so the micks garage video doesn’t really help as his is still attached. Any other suggestions? @GTI’s @3carmonte

The latch mechanism cable attaches differently based on RHD or LHD, and the latch may not have that little box area but may be flat like this.

DSCN2541.JPG

So you need to catch the lip on the side and push to left with a proper tool

DSCN2543.JPG

Tool that I use has a depth mark so I don't take out condenser and also orientation mark. Place tool in small hole line up depth mark and orientation mark facing up and then push tool handle to the right.

DSCN2545.JPG