GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How old is too old for tires?

meech

Car(s)
'17 GTI
I went to check out a set of wheels and tires and noticed a few things that concerned me. The seller had Toyo Proxes 4's with two tires at 8/32 and two at 6/32. He had explained how he replaced two of the tires however they all seemed to have the same tire date on them. They were made five years ago in 2015. I've heard that you should replace your tires after six years. So my question is, are the tires fine or should I avoid them because the tires will need to be replaced?

Also, I don't get to drive my GTI often so it normally sits in a garage back home. I could easily see these lasting three more years with how little I drive. Will it be a hazard driving on eight year old tires?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
No way to know how they will be in three years, but they should be fine if garage kept. Check them for cracks, which means they are dried out and should be scrapped.

Tires are a lot like clothes: Just because your '82 Member's Only jacket still fits, doesn't mean you should still be wearing it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Offer him a lower price for the wheels only if you're concerned about the life of the tires.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
The general rule (from both tire and car companies) is to replace your tires if they're 6 years old, regardless of how much tread is left. Exposure to the elements will probably lead to visible cracking in the tread, but even if you don't see it, the tires will still degrade, even when kept in climate-controlled storage. When they do fail, it won't be while you're driving around town getting groceries, it will be mid-corner when you're pushing it.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
The general rule (from both tire and car companies) is to replace your tires if they're 6 years old, regardless of how much tread is left. Exposure to the elements will probably lead to visible cracking in the tread, but even if you don't see it, the tires will still degrade, even when kept in climate-controlled storage. When they do fail, it won't be while you're driving around town getting groceries, it will be mid-corner when you're pushing it.
Well, Michelin says ten years. https://www.michelinman.com/howLong...ears is a maximum,to the tread wear indicator.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
I had a garage-kept weekend car with some Pirelli performance street tires on it many years ago.. after a little more than 5 years, the tires really went to crap. There was plenty of tread left, but they just wouldn't grip, and were really easy to spin off the line, and locked up under braking very easily. I almost got into an accident because the tires locked up so easily under any kind of medium-hard braking. Replaced them the next weekend with new tires, and it was HUGE difference.