GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Clubsport build

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Distance from seat back to point "D" is NOT stated....in the Golf & with that roll cage its quite short, therefore the angle from the slots in the seat down to that point (where the harness belts are looped around the bottom cross bar) is very steep & NOT ideal...it all depends on the cars dimensions...in a longer wheel base & with a different cage it would be fine to use "D"...but not in the Golf 7 & not with that cage...that is why Wiechers offer the higher up harness bar which is optimal for a harness....

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Schroth ASM belts are generally used on a car that does NOT have a rollbar/cage in it as they're designed to be used with stock seats. In a car with a rollbar/cage and static (ie, NOT ASM harnesses) the harness bar that the belts wrap around should be just below shoulder height for the driver/passenger.

The harness bar in the pics in this thread is WAY too low for a typical harness installation. I really don't care what experience level this company has with their race cars, what they're selling here is all kinds of wrong...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Schroth ASM belts are generally used on a car that does NOT have a rollbar/cage in it as they're designed to be used with stock seats. In a car with a rollbar/cage and static (ie, NOT ASM harnesses) the harness bar that the belts wrap around should be just below shoulder height for the driver/passenger.

The harness bar in the pics in this thread is WAY too low for a typical harness installation. I really don't care what experience level this company has with their race cars, what they're selling here is all kinds of wrong...

Actually they are making it right for use with factory seatbelt for road use......just customers are using it wrong....Wiechers actually make it with a middle height harness bar option which I talked about in my post...just the customers don't order it at the time...or they later decide to fit 4/5/6 point harneses...

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would make a half-cage like that without a shoulder level harness bar at the main hoop.

Long shoulder harness runs to a rearward anchor point are common practice in Europe — frequently seen on WRC cars back when we still had TV coverage of the sport. (However they would not normally go to a low anchor point that would vertically stress the seat back.) It's not generally considered acceptable in North America.

Note that harness manufacturer Schroth, whose installation safety instructions are followed by almost everyone (download link on this page: https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/racing/service/installation-instructions.html), also calls for the shoulder webbing runs to be crossed over each other if the rear mounting points are more than 500mm/20" from the seat back apertures. None of the photos here show that having been done.

Neil

In North America you can buy a bent in half truck from Pick-n-Pull and throw lawn equipment and drive it on a California Highway so our DOT is shit.

Wiecher's offers it as an available option even with or without nut certs

963~4.jpg
963~2.jpg

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
stock Golf R fitted with cheap wheel combo doesn't make you a race driver!

Golf R done right with all the good shit does not make you a race car driver!

It's time for a double IPA of San Diegos finest!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
@golfdave ....most Americans never heard of Wiechers Sport or half of the companies that make parts for European vehicles.

I had gathered that...I know Wiechers from the top strut bars they make....but owning & modding VAG cars for 26yrs now I know most of the Euro stuff..living over this side of the pond does help...

Just don't like decent companies getting "trash talked" just because customers don't use their stuff correctly or people can't be bothered to read posted info...

greekspec2

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf R 17 BMW X1M
I had gathered that...I know Wiechers from the top strut bars they make....but owning & modding VAG cars for 26yrs now I know most of the Euro stuff..living over this side of the pond does help...

Just don't like decent companies getting "trash talked" just because customers don't use their stuff correctly or people can't be bothered to read posted info...

Every well sought after executed car in Europe sports a Wiecher wether it's for pure show or for the track, All the large VAG companies from Oettinger,ABT,MTM etc use them to your main stream Motorsport Consultants.....ehh drink another beer

P4051294.jpg

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S

Are you the dude who DAZA swapped his 2 door R?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Naw he's the dude modding a 1.4 estate hating on everyone else's shit.

lol. This thread is a trainwreck. Nice Half Cage OP, can't wait to see it installed.

"hating on everyone's else's shit".....please explain...

Not hating anyone for fitting a Wiechers roll cage.

Just pointing out that some people are incorrectly fitting 4/5/6 point harnesses to the factory seatbelt roll cage version & not ordering the correct version (with 4/5/6 point harness cross bar) of the roll cage to be fully 100% compatible with said harnesses..

Also not only me pointing this out in this thread…& by your comments you're the one making it a train wreck...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Every well sought after executed car in Europe sports a Wiecher wether it's for pure show or for the track, All the large VAG companies from Oettinger,ABT,MTM etc use them to your main stream Motorsport Consultants.....ehh drink another beer

Like I said before I do know this as I live over this side of the pond & know MTM/ABT etc......

I'm not complaining about Wiechers...I'd highly recommend them...

Just people NOT using the correct roll cage version with the 4/5/6 point harnesses which is worse for safety in a crash as it puts you at more risk from bad force angles on the straps & onto the seat back.

End of the day, your safety, your car, your life...but if the worst happens, don't complain to Wiechers or the harness maker because you fitted stuff that is NOT 100% compatible...especially when the problems & solutions are well known...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Wiecher's offers it as an available option even with or without nut certs

View attachment 175293

That is the CORRECT way to attach the top straps from a 4/5/6 point harness to a cage..& Wiechers call this option the "safety belt tube", but state that it has "No approval for public road traffic".

Mainly because most 4/5/6/ harnesses are not road approved (there are some ECE road versions). Most road safety in cars is built around the conventional inertia reel seatbelt & airbag systems, so you have a legal situation with brands/makers covering their arses.

Basically their standard "road" roll cage does not have the "Safety belt tube" & you use your existing inertial reel seat belt for full road approval & 100% compatibility.

Basically your local road/car/inspection/track circuit laws will dictate what is/is not legal (these roll cages are not FIA approved anyway). But always use a 4/5/6 point harness as shown in the above picture as best practice

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Im relatively tall, my head would for sure bump on that if I sat back in the seat without controlling my lean-back speed. A couple pieces of foam behind the head would be beneficial. I'm no expert on safety but I would assume that the people making the cages professionally know what they are doing safety wise. As for a roll cage on a street car that won't be tracked, I don't see much benefit other than cool factor