GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: Get Strong Fuel Hoses!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
When I installed an ethanol content sensor, I bought some regular 5/16" hoses from O'Reilly's. Today one of these hoses developed a crack and I had to run to an auto parts store for a new piece of hose; thankfully I carry some fuel line installation tools with me in my car, so I was able to fix the problem while being on the road. I ended up getting a piece of hose (18" package) that said "for fuel injection." I'll also be replacing the second half of the hose that feeds from the sensor to the HPFP. I recommend getting specially packaged hoses that say "for fuel injection" and don't say "not for fuel injection." They are only about $7-$8 from O'Reilly's for 1.5 feet.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yeah, I actually just recently nerded out on this for the first time too. The cheap stuff is for carb setups and not intended for the kind of pressures you see on fuel injected setups. And as far as low side pressure systems go...ours run pretty high pressure over 100psi too.

Another thing to consider is basic rubber hose.....gas will eventually permeate and you will smell it. Modern hoses are multi layer and have various plastic barriers or whatever to prevent this. Makes it CARB/EPA compliant too, but the important thing is it won't smell.

SAE 30R14 Type 2 is the spec to look for.

Here's a good source for some: http://www.radiumauto.com/Vapor-Shield-Fuel-Hose-P1097.aspx

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This is the one i got today.

Attachments

• 20200529_214352.jpg
    20200529_214352.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 114

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yeah, I actually just recently nerded out on this for the first time too. The cheap stuff is for carb setups and not intended for the kind of pressures you see on fuel injected setups. And as far as low side pressure systems go...ours run pretty high pressure over 100psi too.

Another thing to consider is basic rubber hose.....gas will eventually permeate and you will smell it. Modern hoses are multi layer and have various plastic barriers or whatever to prevent this. Makes it CARB/EPA compliant too, but the important thing is it won't smell.

SAE 30R14 Type 2 is the spec to look for.

Here's a good source for some: http://www.radiumauto.com/Vapor-Shield-Fuel-Hose-P1097.aspx

That's pretty much what the guys at the store told me today. I wish I knew this before. :)