Is 87k too many miles to tune a car?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

OCT0PUSCRIME

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf TSI
I'd change all of the fluids and the spark plugs before the JB4. That includes a DSG service, oil change, brake fluid flush, clutch bleed, top off coolant with proper VW coolant, etc. Stick with the stock heat range spark plugs until you get a downpipe and switch to Map 6 on the JB4, then get one step colder plugs like the RS7 ones.

As for the JB4, I believe Map 4 is the lower output setting. Once you get an aftermarket downpipe, you can change to the Map 6. There's a very good chance that you'll get clutch slip even on Map 4. With 87k on the clock who knows if the clutch had been changed previously. As for the IC, it's the most important supporting mod that you can do. Another thing to keep an eye on is the drivetrain mounts (engine, transmission, and dogbone). Even brand new OE mounts don't last long on a tuned car, let alone ones with 87k on them already.

So I think I am going to change my Oil this weekend. Probably will do my Gear oil this weekend as well while I'm under the car. I am thinking MOTUL Gear 300 75w-90 based on the research that I've done. Unfortunately I cannot find anybody that has used this gear oil in my specific vehicle (Mk7 golf tsi 1.8t). Only Mk6 tsi and Mk7 GTI/R/ etc. Do you think my gear box will take the same oil or should I stick with OEM Fluid?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
The viscosity on the OEM fluid is 75w90 on the GTI. I'm not sure what it is on the TSI though. I ran that fluid in my 16 GTI 6spd. without issues

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Hey all,

First post here, but I've been lurking a bit. I just purchased a 2016 Golf TSI 1.8 with 87000 miles on it about a month ago. I am very happy with this vehicle so far, it is really reminiscent of my first vehicle, a MKIII Jetta, but upgraded. I love it and it seems to have been taken care of very well.

Anyway, I am naturally a tinkerer and there a couple things I would like to do to the vehicle for a little bit of fun. Namely a JB4 to start off and if I want to do more stuff down the line, definitely upgrade the clutch, but I am undecided how much I am going to mess with it. My question is, should I not do the JB4 or any mods at all? I see most of the cars that you guys mod around here tend to be pretty low mileage, like sub 40k. Is 87k to risky to star modding the car? I am worried the mileage is too high on the stock parts, especially the clutch, and I don't want to unwisely tinker where I shouldn't and blow my clutch a week after I put a JB4 in, although the clutch does feel to be in good condition. What do y'all think?

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Hope not! I am out of warranty on 2017 Alltrack 6mt patiently waiting on budget for a couple things:

I am now at 62,000 well maintained miles, conservatively driven.

And just today was talking to a very well regarded local vw tuner and APR installer-
Mike Kim at Pure Motorsports San Diego,
Who had no reservations about APR1 ("which APR website says reset spark plug gaps then") .

His advice in past has been "save up for clutch, brakes, intercooleer when you go to IS20, IC especially in hot climate."

FYI also said "carbon cleaning usually not as bad in 1.8t and recommended wait on that, unless misfiring cold start...

there are numerous videos on youtube addressing carbon cleaning, including Shop Dap' seems to be an issue with 2.0 engine mostly, but all direct injection subject to it, various fixes noted-see also The Humble Mechanics youtube 'splainer on it.

Last edited: