GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'Please insert....' Nav eating SD cards?

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Hi, I've got a 2014 GTI with Discovery Media, it has a SD navigation card inserted, but always shows 'Please insert valid navigation media' when switching to the NAV screen.

I looked up how to update the card and downloaded the Discovercare app. Upon inserting the original card, neither my PC nor the app would recognise it, dead card I thought, and proceeded to install the update on a regular SD card instead as suggested.

This all went well, so I put the new card in the nav, it still shows 'Please insert valid navigation media'. On taking the newly installed card back to my PC it now doesn't show up on the PC or the app either!

Any ideas? I don't really want to keep feeding it $10 SD cards if it's just going to make them unusable. Thanks.

Edit: The new card has started working in the PC again, but still can't get the nav to recognise it.

Last edited:

Rollux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 1.4TSi
It is best to use a good quality, high speed class 10 card. And you need to format the card on the pc properly first to the correct format. And not ‘quick format’ but a full format. My Nav corrupts the card occasionally. I just reformat it, reload and away we go again

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Thanks for the tips, turns out I'm a muppet and should have read the manual, apparently you need to use an official VW card for Discovery Media. You can only use regular cards to copy the data onto the Discovery Pro.

Rollux

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 1.4TSi
Or only on Discovery Media prior to a certain build date (wk 42 2014?) Mine is a May 2013 build and that’s what I have been told. I use a cloning program for my SD card after my first one was “eaten” and was replaced under warranty as I wasn’t prepared to pay $800 for a new one when it corrupted itself again out of warranty