GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Why don't people exhaust wrap discharge pipes?

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion

Phur

Autocross Champion
Tail lights coding.... so I have xenons with led tail and rear fog.

Byte 18 is currently 20. I changed it to 15 and it’s showing a DRL error. I tried 43 and the drl was flickering. Anybody know what I need?

I borrowed obd11 from golnat

EDIT: I coded to 04 and error messages are gone. But the rear fog stays on anytime you turn the lights on.
I had the same issue and did a LOT of research to find out what was going on. Mine were coded correctly leaving me with no passenger side DRL, but the rear fog came on every time that the headlights were on. The reason for this, oddly enough, is that with the addition of the DRLs VW started pinning the CECM differently. The rear fog is being supplied power because it thinks that it is now the DRL, because that is how they were wired over there. I will try to track down more of the info that I used and check back in.

Phur

Autocross Champion

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Update: Officially a led expert lol. It's so hard to find the right information when there's 11 million posts about it. I have factory bi-xenon headlamps. I had the byte 18 coded to 21. This would be perfectly fine for tails with out a rear fog. I needed to run the 04 coding(row GTI), and then swap the two pins at the cecm(to negate the drl/fog errors). Black pin 28 to brown pin 47. Now everything works perfect, no warnings, both drl's on, only the right reverse lamp comes on. Also got the mfi coded so I can manually control the DRL if desired. Need to order an additional trigger wire for the fog

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
The turbo outlet pipe.
Most people dont think there is value in heat wrapping....other people know they're wrong 🤷‍♂️🙂
20190728_122432.jpg

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Cowtown was asking about the discharge pipe like J posted. Doesn't have anything to do with exhaust gas velocity. Wrapping the discharge pipe probably beneficial in J's case on a track car that would be heavily heat soaked. Any additional measure to help keep IAT down during extended runs needed. If you're just cruising around this is the job of your IC. The best way to really drop IAT and create additional power is meth. Other benefits include valve washing and supplementing your stock DI fuel system when making big power. I've seen some cars run around 30-40% meth for fueling. Flex fuel also very popular but not worth running unless you can get away with E60 or better IMO

Former Honda Guy

Autocross Newbie
Cowtown was asking about the discharge pipe like J posted. Doesn't have anything to do with exhaust gas velocity. Wrapping the discharge pipe probably beneficial in J's case on a track car that would be heavily heat soaked. Any additional measure to help keep IAT down during extended runs needed. If you're just cruising around this is the job of your IC. The best way to really drop IAT and create additional power is meth. Other benefits include valve washing and supplementing your stock DI fuel system when making big power. I've seen some cars run around 30-40% meth for fueling. Flex fuel also very popular but not worth running unless you can get away with E60 or better IMO
That makes sense. I’m still learnin’ as this is my first turbo car. As my name suggests, I come from the (NA) Honda world and you always wrapper your header.

I’m spraying meth and have thought about e85, but there isn’t easy access to it near me. 🤷🏾‍♂️

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
does anyone know the torque for the serpentine belt tensioner? I'll search Elsawin if I have to, but don't want to :)