GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

May have found the replacement for starting vibration reduction on the MK7.5

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Just wait for traffic to clear up a bit. The roads being slick will actually make testing easier since you'll be able to break traction more easily. You may get some wheel hop on the slick roads though, so watch out for that. If the drivetrain starts to shudder or violently shake, back off the throttle immediately. You don't want to break anything. You shouldn't get much wheel hop, if any, at stock power levels but it can still happen on slick roads. And yes, the power loss in 1st and 2nd is completely gone on my car. Even when not launching or already moving I've got full power available with no cuts.

I don't want to be out there at all, really. It's snowing in NC, after all. So that means get in your truck, lock the center like an idiot, and slide around drunk on ice with your headlights off. No thank you. I'll stay inside with my hot chocolate and anime, and throw a snowball at a tree every now and again. ?

I'm not likely to ever want to "launch" the car. It's not really my thing.

Of more interest to me is being able to keep those wheels spinning and use the throttle to manage them. The more direct, the better. The perpetual annoyance of having power robbed when I'm just trying to get the darn thing moving quickly would be nice to see minimized, as well. Forget drag racing; that's just plain madness-inducing all around, especially on an engine that already has a turbocharger.

It did occur to me this afternoon that if all this nonsense was just on a switch, it would be a damned convenient "winter mode" for when you're feeling lazy. They could have turned that into a whole marketing venture, because combined, these features do indeed "idiot proof" the car in a way that almost seems ideal for such weather. It's the sort of thing Saab might have developed if they were still around. From that perspective, and from the perspective of just having a lazy shopping trip when it's slushy out, it would be a great system.

I can't wait to test this out tomorrow. (y)

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Dude you are man! I can’t wait to try this I hate having traction control when I’m trying to burn rubber ??

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
told a friend with a modified 2018 gti about the adaptation this afternoon. he's reporting back positives... hoping for similar results with mines in the
morning.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
To the folks saying this helps/fixes this issue - have you done repeats of going back and forth with it on/off?

tigeo

Autocross Champion

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
To the folks saying this helps/fixes this issue - have you done repeats of going back and forth with it on/off?

honestly... you don't need to go back and forth. if you own one of these cars you know how disappointing they are from a dig. i was really considering taking a loss on the car. the difference is night and day. similar results to pulling the abs fuse without the bullshit and losing functionality.

i don't know how or why. def need more information on exactly what is happening and whether this is safe long term. i reached out to another gti owner. he said it didn't help and he seems to know really know these cars...

sorry for my ramblings... i need coffee. very happy with how the car is behaving currently.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
honestly... you don't need to go back and forth. if you own one of these cars you know how disappointing they are from a dig. i was really considering taking a loss on the car. the difference is night and day. similar results to pulling the abs fuse without the bullshit and losing functionality.

i don't know how or why. def need more information on exactly what is happening and whether this is safe long term. i reached out to another gti owner. he said it didn't help and he seems to know really know these cars...

sorry for my ramblings... i need coffee. very happy with how the car is behaving currently.
You always tend to get a mixed-bag with the VCDS "performance" tweaks and that's why I ask - some say it works, some don't which usually leads me to "placebo" being in play and/or folks don't really knowing what the change does. I have a 4Mo wagon and did this adjustment and then did a launch this morning, I also have the "starting vibration reduction" I've seen zero change between any of them and I have gone back/forth a ton. I realize I have awd but I still get some spin at times. Who knows, as I said above - it's certainly at least plausible.

tknj99

Ready to race!
It did occur to me this afternoon that if all this nonsense was just on a switch, it would be a damned convenient "winter mode" for when you're feeling lazy. They could have turned that into a whole marketing venture, because combined, these features do indeed "idiot proof" the car in a way that almost seems ideal for such weather. It's the sort of thing Saab might have developed if they were still around. From that perspective, and from the perspective of just having a lazy shopping trip when it's slushy out, it would be a great system.

I agree. i have the setting disabled as well but, and this is out of pure laziness, dont like having to press and hold TC off button to get to ESC OFF to be able to take advantage of power in 1st gear and then if i do, having to do it again once i restart the car.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
OBDEleven method.

Capture.JPG

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Folks need to get actual data on these changes vs. feel - what can you log to see what that changes, if anything,for this?

I'm not sure how much I can log, but I'm doing very careful runs and repeating the tests, and trying to figure out how these settings interact.

Not typically a butt-dyno guy, and I don't really have stock in trying to make the car look good, in that regard. Generally, my impressions turn out to be accurate; but I don't really have the energy to get into data logging and diagnosis without really prepping ahead of time. I'll try if I can, but I'm not entirely sure the best way to do that on this car. VCDS can probably do something, but if this stuff changes as suggested... It's going to be noticeable.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure how much I can log, but I'm doing very careful runs and repeating the tests, and trying to figure out how these settings interact.

Not typically a butt-dyno guy, and I don't really have stock in trying to make the car look good, in that regard. Generally, my impressions turn out to be accurate; but I don't really have the energy to get into data logging and diagnosis without really prepping ahead of time. I'll try if I can, but I'm not entirely sure the best way to do that on this car. VCDS can probably do something, but if this stuff changes as suggested... It's going to be noticeable.
Sounds good - you are doing it right then...the key is controlling variables. I just have this thing about folks posting up a VCDS mod without any testing and then everyone accepts it as gospel. The science-guy in me I suppose! I love this stuff!