Project Red XIII: avenali312's OEM+ GTI

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Where did you order the inlet kit from?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Some people do that its easy to do (remove the tank)..others also swap to the tank which does not have the bag......

Sorry, @golfdave ave. I have one more question about this. My Google searches are coming up empty. The part number listed for my car and the coolant tank is 5Q0121407T, but there is not indication if that tank includes the silica bag or not. All they really mention is the sensor is included. Do you happen to have a part number for the bag-less coolant tank?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Sorry, @golfdave ave. I have one more question about this. My Google searches are coming up empty. The part number listed for my car and the coolant tank is 5Q0121407T, but there is not indication if that tank includes the silica bag or not. All they really mention is the sensor is included. Do you happen to have a part number for the bag-less coolant tank?

This is a thread which goes into detail about it & the part numbers...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=285928.0

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Small update.

I've been running my dash cam with the cable hanging down to the 12v plug in the center for a few weeks now, and decided it was finally time to install the hardwire kit that I purchased for it.

Installation was pretty straight forward and made even easier by following the great write-ups by @SomethingNew71 and @ReadTheBook. The hardest part for me was dealing with the A pillar and getting the cable behind the airbag. I had planned on dealing with my A pillar rattle, but it was a bit too cold and I didn't want to be pulling on plastic parts and taking the chance of breaking something. I'll deal with that once it warms up. There was also one particular spot that I couldn't get to drop in the headliner (close to the plastic console) enough to get the wire tucked all the way. I'll revisit that in warmer weather as well.

I really like that when the car is parked outside with full reflections on the glass that the camera blends very well with the mirror and is basically invisible. It's a little more obvious inside the parking garage at work.

I am running the camera to a switched fuse so it turns off with the car. Parking isn't really as much of a concern to me as is the crazy Atlanta drivers I have to deal with.

Important note regarding specifically the Rexing V1P 3rd Gen camera: This camera did not receive the Parking Mode update to its firmware like other Rexing cameras did. From what I've read, Rexing's reasoning for this is because of the capacitor it uses versus a battery. Basically, if you want Parking Mode on this model, you have to use their hardwire kit with the low voltage cutoff and the camera just records 24/7. With the summer heat here, a capacitor was more important to me than a battery and Parking Mode, so I'm okay with it being off when parked.

Next up is running the wire for the rear-facing camera.

Stuff I used:
- Rexing V1P 3rd Gen Dash Cam
- Rexing Hardwire Kit
- Add-a-Circuit for Mini Fuse

Last edited:

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
How's your intake sounding?

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
The MST Performance inlet kit hasn't really increased sound too much. I can sometimes hear it a bit more, but nothing major. Putting in the aFe filter and removing the snow guard had more effect.

Sure thing, I meant your setup as a whole. Is it noticeably louder than stock in the cabin, windows up?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sure thing, I meant your setup as a whole. Is it noticeably louder than stock in the cabin, windows up?

There's definitely an increase in sound, but marginal. Let's put it this way, no one that has ridden with me has suspected anything is different under the hood haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Not an update since the car is rarely getting driven these days with working from home, but I did happen to have the camera in the car last night after I rinsed off the 5 layers of pollen buildup from the last week. Quick, hand-held shot in the dark at an ISO of 3200 and 1/40s.

I started shooting hobby-level photography with a 35mm black and white, and I enjoy the similar look this one gave even though it's digital. Though RAW did save me here as it was originally super underexposed haha.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
A friend from work let me borrow his garage for the day to get some detailing in. Wash, clay, polish, hybrid spray coating, and about 8 hours later this 5 year old, outdoor parked VW is looking better than it ever has.

- Meguiar's Gold Class Wash
- Simoniz S57 Clay Bar
- Meguiar's Quik Detailer (clay lubrication)
- Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (with a white Chemical Guys Hex Logic pad on a DA polisher)
- Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating (first coat is curing now and a second will go on in 24 hours)