GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 GTI Manual Drivetrain issue, need help troublshooting

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I pressed the clutch, put it into first and as I tried to let the clutch out the car would start to move just a bit but then it would stop and make the grinding noise, similar noise you would hear if you missed a gear or let the clutch to soon while trying to change gears

Are you sure that you have it completely in gear? Both situations you mentioned sound like it's not fully engaged in the gear. Still sound like it's popping out of gear.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Are you sure that you have it completely in gear? Both situations you mentioned sound like it's not fully engaged in the gear. Still sound like it's popping out of gear.
Yes sounds like it's not fully grabbing the gear, but from inside the car the shifter is fully engaged in the right position. My indy mechanic as well said he has never heard/seen a car do this before

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes sounds like it's not fully grabbing the gear, but from inside the car the shifter is fully engaged in the right position. My indy mechanic as well said he has never heard/seen a car do this before

Maybe the linkage just needs adjusted.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
The mechanic looked at the car and it turns out it was the clutch.
The mechanic said the clutch just failed, he thinks it is a manufacture defect.
The clutch did not fail because of wear. I will take pictures but he said there was a part on the disk that just came loose and it just spins freely and that was the noise I was hearing.

anyway could had been a lot worse, he said to contact south bend to see if they can replace it\warranty it as it seems defective to him, I will take pictures later tonight and contact SB.

Thank you

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
SB is a very good company and I heard they stand behind their product. I will reach out and see what happens, I am sure they would like to know about it.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Picked up the car, OMG the clutch is so much lighter then the SB, i had to immediately order a clutch stop, this one grabs much higher compared to the SB
there is no shuddering or chattering, but it definitely does not grab as hard either...
I baby it the whole way home. I took pictures of the old one, will have to upload them soon

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
This is the part that failed. The inner disk got loose and the car was able to spin it freely and thus the noise I was hearing

20200218_191645.jpg