GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
My stock gauge just shows about 190 all the time, but also don't have any mods. I would rinse it down with some water and let it dry. Not using a nozzle or pressure washer obvi

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Drove around a bunch today with OBDeleven showing my coolant temp. Cruising around 198-200F, with 205-215F at slower speeds in the city. Sound normal? Only had to top it off once today.

I'm noticing very small puddles on the splash guard, but it may just be all the coolant I spilled working its way down. I'll give that a few days before getting too concerned about it.
cannot confirm if the numbers are in range but it makes sense that it was higher with less air flowing through the engine bay. does not seem excessively high temp wise.

torga

Autocross Champion
cannot confirm if the numbers are in range but it makes sense that it was higher with less air flowing through the engine bay. does not seem excessively high temp wise.
The thermostat is rated for 95C/105C (203F/221F), so that's in line with the temps I was seeing.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Do the front brakes really not use those metal shims the pads slide on, like the rears do ? Working on mine today, I noticed the pads sit right on the caliper carrier. I thought maybe the shims were missing, but looking up parts, the only thing that comes up for front hardware kits are those springs and the slide pin grommets.

Testing the fitment of the new pads on them, it looks like there wouldn't be clearance for shims anyway, but I just wanna make sure since it seems odd to me.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Do the front brakes really not use those metal shims the pads slide on, like the rears do ? Working on mine today, I noticed the pads sit right on the caliper carrier. I thought maybe the shims were missing, but looking up parts, the only thing that comes up for front hardware kits are those springs and the slide pin grommets.

Testing the fitment of the new pads on them, it looks like there wouldn't be clearance for shims anyway, but I just wanna make sure since it seems odd to me.

Mine doesn't have them on the front, I think the spring that hooks in takes place of the anti rattle clips. It keeps the pads/caliper held down instead.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So my drivers side headlight kinda shit the bed yesterday. When I turn on the headlights it comes on just fine, but then starts flickering and eventually just shuts off. When I turn on the highbeams the bulb flashes pretty quick like 10 times then stays on for about 15 seconds before shutting off. They're the Osram Xenarcs if that helps and I know nothing about troubleshooting HID bulbs

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So my drivers side headlight kinda shit the bed yesterday. When I turn on the headlights it comes on just fine, but then starts flickering and eventually just shuts off. When I turn on the highbeams the bulb flashes pretty quick like 10 times then stays on for about 15 seconds before shutting off. They're the Osram Xenarcs if that helps and I know nothing about troubleshooting HID bulbs
check the connectors

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Sounds like the ballast might have gone bad. I would swap sides and see if the issue moves. Check all your connections too.

torga

Autocross Champion
Sounds like the ballast might have gone bad. I would swap sides and see if the issue moves. Check all your connections too.
I've had a ballast go bad almost this exact way before. Swap the ballasts and see if your issue moves to the pass. side.
You could also use a multimeter to check voltage on the connectors coming out of the ballasts to confirm they're getting power.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I've had a ballast go bad almost this exact way before. Swap the ballasts and see if your issue moves to the pass. side.
You could also use a multimeter to check voltage on the connectors coming out of the ballasts to confirm they're getting power.
I'll try this first. I think the ballasts may be on the bottom of the lights so it might be a bit of a project to get it all off and changed. I looked through all the connections though and it all seemed tight. Hoping just the ballast though so I don't need to find a replacement for the whole assembly.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'll try this first. I think the ballasts may be on the bottom of the lights so it might be a bit of a project to get it all off and changed. I looked through all the connections though and it all seemed tight. Hoping just the ballast though so I don't need to find a replacement for the whole assembly.
Did you put in HIDs yourself, or do the Osrams come with them pre-installed?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Did you put in HIDs yourself, or do the Osrams come with them pre-installed?
They come pre-installed. Only thing I did for install was physically put them in and plug them in

torga

Autocross Champion
They come pre-installed. Only thing I did for install was physically put them in and plug them in
Oh man, that's not good news to hear. I want a set of those headlights, but paying almost $1000 to get a potentially faulty HID so soon? That's no fun. Swap bulbs for each side first, then swap ballasts, if you can. No idea how they're mounted on those Osrams. I was actually under the impression that the high beams and the low beams were LED.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Anybody just get rid of the lug nut covers? Feel like they just hold dirt and water rather than deter anyone from stealing the wheels.