GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can anyone tell me of the most efficient(for the longevity of the car/engine) route to mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealslimhazy

So I have a few ideas of the mods i want to do, but I've heard of many, MANY mixed threads/opinions about certain mods. btw, i posted this in "general discussions" because it's kind of all over the place.

1. Diverter Valve - heard mixed things on this. some say the stock is way better and aftermarkets are shit, then some say there's definitely better boost response, spooling sound(which is my main priority) in the aftermarket DVs
2. Downpipe - some say that even with a spacer, i'll be looking at CELs for life, others say just get a spacer and you're fine. or a tune, but the problem with a tune, is that i drive a manual, so any tune i've been told will need an upgraded clutch(which i definitely cant afford right now). and should you get any pre mods before getting a DP and straight pipe?
3. Dogbone Mount - i've actually havent heard of any bad things about this mod. and it's fairly cheap, so i wont be losing sleep if i do have to go back to stock on that part.
4. Coilovers - this one i havent done too much research on. i just know that in the near future i will be wanting to lower my car a little bit, nothing too drastic like slammed. What's the price range(parts and labor) to get the car lowered with decent coilovers( not wanting a track car, so i dont need overly expensive coilovers).
Those are my ideas for right now.

Question for experienced owners of gti's, which mod route(s) have you found to be more successful with little to no issues.
Again, I'm not trying to mod my car into a track car, i still need reliability...that's why i'm in no rush to get a "tune" or get a bigger turbo or anything like that.

I've done countless hours of research, but there's so many mixed opinions that I am super confused(or else i wouldn't be making this thread right now).

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thread is silly but for the sake of the question. And in regards to “safety/reliability” intake/cat back would be no cause for concern with those requirements. Aside from sounds the DV won’t give you in your scenario any gain that you would really be able to enjoy or benefit from. Coilovers, well if you get cheap ones they will not have the same life span of the factory suspension so Again in favor of the topic -only if you got good ones $1k +

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So looking at your list of things your considering, and those you've written off.....

If you're not considering a tune, I wouldn't look at a DP. Can't always guarantee not getting a CEL and only a tune will truly get the most out of it. Honestly, out of your entire list, go with coilovers, replace the DV with a rear sway bar and replace the DP with better tires. Perhaps even upgrading pads.... All this for better handling.

All this especially if you're forgoing a tune.

therealslimhazy

So looking at your list of things your considering, and those you've written off.....

If you're not considering a tune, I wouldn't look at a DP. Can't always guarantee not getting a CEL and only a tune will truly get the most out of it. Honestly, out of your entire list, go with coilovers, replace the DV with a rear sway bar and replace the DP with better tires. Perhaps even upgrading pads.... All this for better handling.

All this especially if you're forgoing a tune.
thank you, the only one not trolling. TRYING TO BE STEERED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I dont understand these no-life losers that come on a post declaring how "dumb" the question is. if you dont have any input besides your dumbass sarcastic remarks, just dont respond. you guys have nothing else better to do? talking to Cumfuncomet, i mean Sumfuncomet and El-bigote. stupid ass names btw. lulz

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
thank you, the only one not trolling. TRYING TO BE STEERED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I dont understand these no-life losers that come on a post declaring how "dumb" the question is. if you dont have any input besides your dumbass sarcastic remarks, just dont respond. you guys have nothing else better to do? talking to Cumfuncomet, i mean Sumfuncomet and El-bigote. stupid ass names btw. lulz

Easy buddy. No need for name calling at all... Definitely not called for. Don't get riled up so easily.... There are multiple threads on pretty much each of those topics you covered. I do think you're better off just sticking to handling if you don't want to start with tuning

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
We might be able to help more if we knew your goals, besides just wanting to mod.

If you're just looking for more spooling noises, skip the DV and get a semi-open intake and TIP. You'll hear it way better and avoid potential problems.

Why do you want a DP? It does wake up the engine a little, but it's mostly wasted without a tune. If you're just looking for better sound, get the CSS muffler; it's factory, sounds great and won't cause any engine issues.

Dogbone - do it. It's great, especially with the manual cars because the reduced drivetrain slop makes shifting easier and faster too.

Coilovers are gonna be pricey. $1k plus and installation will be hundreds more. You can do just springs, but then you'll be back into the suspension in a year or two when you kill the factory dampers. Save up and wait to do it right the first time.

Hope this helps.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted

? post

I like the wide range of smilies cause if I just typed "s**t post" it would get censored.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
DV - stock is fine to use up to any power level that you would likely achieve. Are you just looking for the psssssh noise (probably what you mean)? Then just a simple DV spacer is all you need.
DP - no reason to get one without a tune as you won't get much out of this but some exhaust note. Spacers can be a crap-shoot depending on the DP.
Clutch - yes, if you do a tune you will shorten the life of the stock clutch but this will depend on how hard you drive it. If you tune it, you are 100% going to driving it harder.
Dog bone mount insert - I think this is what you mean. Very easy/cheap and a "why not" if you have a manual.
Coilovers - if you just want to lower your car save the money and just get some springs.

Safe/efficiently/longevity? None of these will really do a thing in terms of those - these are al v. minor modifications.

As mentioned above, that is your goal?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So I have a few ideas of the mods i want to do, but I've heard of many, MANY mixed threads/opinions about certain mods. btw, i posted this in "general discussions" because it's kind of all over the place.

1. Diverter Valve - heard mixed things on this. some say the stock is way better and aftermarkets are shit, then some say there's definitely better boost response, spooling sound(which is my main priority) in the aftermarket DVs
2. Downpipe - some say that even with a spacer, i'll be looking at CELs for life, others say just get a spacer and you're fine. or a tune, but the problem with a tune, is that i drive a manual, so any tune i've been told will need an upgraded clutch(which i definitely cant afford right now). and should you get any pre mods before getting a DP and straight pipe?
3. Dogbone Mount - i've actually havent heard of any bad things about this mod. and it's fairly cheap, so i wont be losing sleep if i do have to go back to stock on that part.
4. Coilovers - this one i havent done too much research on. i just know that in the near future i will be wanting to lower my car a little bit, nothing too drastic like slammed. What's the price range(parts and labor) to get the car lowered with decent coilovers( not wanting a track car, so i dont need overly expensive coilovers).
Those are my ideas for right now.

Question for experienced owners of gti's, which mod route(s) have you found to be more successful with little to no issues.
Again, I'm not trying to mod my car into a track car, i still need reliability...that's why i'm in no rush to get a "tune" or get a bigger turbo or anything like that.

I've done countless hours of research, but there's so many mixed opinions that I am super confused(or else i wouldn't be making this thread right now).
This should solve your noise wants: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...24A9DCCCF531A97DB5F724A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.