GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Monitor for VAG cars (work in progress)

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Thanks! <3
Haha no problem :) Yes, I fixed the AFR issue (I think). I didn't check my PM's that often (I get a lot daily, most of them being questions from people that want their MIB's patched ;-) )

And yes, you are right.. VW isn't sending anything better to us MQB-platform fellows... I don't expect the MIB3 will work on the Golf, but hey.. you never know (might be a good challenge :-D ).
Either way.. I just ordered a new car, a Seat Leon FR Sportstourer Ultimate Edition.. so I'll be on the MIB2 for a few more years ;-)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Got my phone fixed, loaded up the latest version of Oxygen OS, on Android 10. Did all of my usual phone setup, root, blah blah blah. Install Android Auto the first weird thing I notice is that it's not in the app drawer.

It seems Google has made it a system app on some devices. This is annoying because my two other, older, cars don't even have Bluetooth. I use AA with a dash mount when I drive those. Whatever, can still get into the AA settings through Android settings... enabled unknown sources.

Install Vag Extensions and your performance monitor. Grant the permissions it asks for. Already have torque setup and connected to my generic Bluetooth OBD2. Run the AA Phenotype patcher and reboot.

Get in the car and mess around with the new Android auto interface for a few minutes, my phone was still on the old one when I broke it. Select your app and go for a drive, happy to see everything working just like I remember. Get out and grab something to eat, get back in the car and now performance monitor won't launch. What I hit the icon the screen blanks for a second then goes back to the application selection. Following this Android auto closes/crashes with my car saying USB device disconnected. A couple seconds later, without me doing anything it reconnects and Android auto comes back up as if nothing happened. But trying to start performance monitor again causes the same response.

Did a long power off of the radio and a hard reboot of the phone, still can't get performance monitor to launch again. Uninstall performance monitor and then reinstall it, run AA phenotype patcher again and reboot. Then I can run performance monitor again, once.

I don't know how to record logs, or if this is even a problem worth your time to look into. I'm going to look up how to install it the "regular" way a little later tonight as I want to use it in my older cars. Just figured I would post about it for your info and anybody else on Android 10 that doesn't see Android auto in their app drawer anymore. Do you think it could be an issue with Android auto being a system app?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
What app should I use to have this show up on my i fotainment screen?

Check the readme on the github :sneaky:

But trying to start performance monitor again causes the same response.

hmm, I think the new to-be-released version has less issues like this :LOL: let's try with the new version soon. If my schedule allows it,it'll be released this week.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
woah, cool app! been sleeping on this thread for its whole life. wish android auto wasn't such a pain, but if i didn't have performance monitors already i'd be all over this!

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Maybe dumb question but I can't find the answer-- how do I check my firmware version?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I won't get to this today but I WILL get to it soon. Love everything you've done so far... also your toolbox is the reason I have an MIB 2.5 setup in my shopping cart ??.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
hold the MENU button on your unit. If your software version is not in the list of supported or unsupported version, don't worry: try it :)

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I tried it before, but something wasn't working right and I wanted to see if perhaps mine was a confirmed not working. I'll give it another go on the latest version.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Well, I gave this a go, as well as the toolbox.

First, thanks for all the hard work on the projects.

The toolbox did not work on my car, "metainfo2.txt is not correct".... Issue #1 I believe. I realy only wanted this to unlock 3rd party AA apps... I don't want to root my primary phone, but I had an old tablet to use a test device moving forward.

The performance monitor I got working, but only Torque PIDs. And for some odd reason if I select the Torque IAT PID, it crashes everything. Otherwise it seems to work fine, I'm guessing I could figure out a way to convert the units to Imperial if I dug a little deeper.

MHI2_US_AU37x_P3254
Version 0694

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Well, I gave this a go, as well as the toolbox.

First, thanks for all the hard work on the projects.

The toolbox did not work on my car, "metainfo2.txt is not correct".... Issue #1 I believe. I realy only wanted this to unlock 3rd party AA apps... I don't want to root my primary phone, but I had an old tablet to use a test device moving forward.

The performance monitor I got working, but only Torque PIDs. And for some odd reason if I select the Torque IAT PID, it crashes everything. Otherwise it seems to work fine, I'm guessing I could figure out a way to convert the units to Imperial if I dug a little deeper.

MHI2_US_AU37x_P3254
Version 0694

Thanks for all the feedback, that's really valueable!

A better way to handle the units is planned for a next release. It's a bit of a mess currently, especially since the car can report both imperial and metric units, so I have to make a conversion "if car is sending imperial AND user chose to have metric instead.." which overcomplicated the app in a way I didn't mean to :ROFLMAO:

I'll have a look at the Torque IAT PID. I use this all the time, but maybe because of unit-conversion something is breaking. The missing VAG data elements is a hit-or-miss on most firmwares. Even on some recent ones, the developers just didn't bother to turn the exlap-interface on o_Oo_Oo_O

The toolbox not working is a matter of me not having the right hardware, I guess. I cannot reproduce the issue on any of my own units, which makes it hard to troubleshoot.