GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2 in MA

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
There's no difference between an MK7 and 7.5 downpipe install. Maybe they haven't done one on a car with a VAQ diff??

Getting the stock DP out takes a bit of extra time because of the bracket to the block but it's not bad at all. Slides right out when rotated the correct way, which is very easy on a lift.

Many aftermarket DPs don't exactly match the diameter of the stock system. You can try a better clamp, the stock one isn't very good.

I have a full 3" so i don't know if this clamp will work well for this specific application, but it is very good quality.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/312881783625
Yeah I thought they were identical too and that's what I told them. I have no clue what happened then. Like I said this shop is an APR dealer so they do downpipes all the time, and the facelift has been out since 2018. The guy and his tech sounded pretty confused about the whole ordeal, and it cost me.

I'll look at a better clamp, thanks.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
You can flash yourself back and forth and recoup costs when done by selling AP. Also monitor live data for engine perf/health and diagnostic tool.

Not sure about cats and secondary oxygen sensors, my wrx doesn’t have those issues and catalyst monitor/oxyg sensors are ready for obd emission testing. Perhaps someone else chimes in with experience. Is Ma a sniff state or obd readiness state?

You can get some of the cost back, but with a custom tune (several hundred at least), the problem is that isn’t likely going to work on another car, so you still lose out on that. Not much different than an OTS in terms of cost loss. Just saying

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
You dont need a custom tune. If we compare ots to ots (apples to apples) then its far cheaper and imo still superior on cobb platform.

But you COULD get a custom tune, can you say the same on APR/Uni?

Not to forget monitoring, troubleshooting, code reading, etc that you cant do w uni/apr canned tunes.

Youd be out 175$ w Cobb ap.

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
You dont need a custom tune. If we compare ots to ots (apples to apples) then its far cheaper and imo still superior on cobb platform.

But you COULD get a custom tune, can you say the same on APR/Uni?

Not to forget monitoring, troubleshooting, code reading, etc that you cant do w uni/apr canned tunes.

Youd be out 175$ w Cobb ap.

That’s fair, but most don’t think the OTS AP tunes are that great either. I can log with my jb4 now... though I won’t have near the power of a Cobb or APR tune. UNI is weak and a good jb4 tune can give them a run, if not beat them. I understand the benefit either way though

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
EQT OTS. 175$. All one would lose. Whats the cost of APR canned/ots tune and it has no chance of ever working on another car right?

Eww, Cobb OTS. But free w AP purchase..

(in subie world we get access to accesstuner and can modify/tune free cobb ots maps, dunno if it applies to vw too—since you’re basically self tuning w jb4)

Last edited:

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
EQT OTS. 175$. All one would lose. Whats the cost of APR canned/ots tune and it has no chance of ever working on another car right?

Eww, Cobb OTS. But free w AP purchase..

(in subie world we get access to accesstuner and can modify/tune free cobb ots maps, dunno if it applies to vw too—since you’re basically self tuning w jb4)

Yeah I was etuned with my 2011 wrx, I think it was 312/346 based on that friggen program you can put the car info in, etc

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Just flashed EQT OTS stage 2 tune!

Driving to work soon after I heard a loud pop under semi-hard acceleration and lost all boost. Cue heart attack. I'm at the shop now and they're looking for boost leaks, I'm guessing a blown hose somewhere but I couldn't tell when I looked.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Just flashed EQT OTS stage 2 tune!

Driving to work soon after I heard a loud pop under semi-hard acceleration and lost all boost. Cue heart attack. I'm at the shop now and they're looking for boost leaks, I'm guessing a blown hose somewhere but I couldn't tell when I looked.

Your shop doesn't exactly seem top tier ...