GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Littco l380 Turbo Questions

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
Looking to possibly go this route. I do currently have an IS38 OEM but having a little better and peace of mind is kind of a plus. Few questions are:

1.) Do I need to get proper tuning or can I stick with my APR tune?
2.) Will I need to do any fueling upgrades?

slogti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
APR Stage 1+ GTI
I thought the L380 is just a beefed up oem is38 with better internals and not anything larger so there is no reason as to why you would have to retune / add fuel?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I thought the L380 is just a beefed up oem is38 with better internals and not anything larger so there is no reason as to why you would have to retune / add fuel?

It's larger. Not by much, but enough that you shouldn't use an IS38 tune and doing so will void Littcos warranty.

Personally I'd stay with the OEM unit.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
I guess if i was to go with anything probably the 450 then or a different route. I'm kinda at the point that I want more than is38 but not exactly sure how to go about it and what would all be needed

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
the L380 has identical internals to an is38 but is built to be much stronger and more reliable, so you can also push it harder more safely and will last a lot longer. any is38 tune will work identically well on an L380. I will say that an EQT COBB pro tune is miles better than APR or any off the shelf tune.

the L380x and note the "X" after the turbo name, is what has slightly larger compressor wheel, which is the turbo I have, and i don't recommend it. it's not a bad turbo but there are better turbos out there today than the L380x.

I think if someone is going to be happy with a max of 390-400whp then L380 is a great turbo with silly torque and response and great reliability, but if you want more than 400whp an is38 or L380 will not do that.

If you can get E85 locally I'd say put an HPFP on there and get an EQT tune on COBB for an E50 mix. You will be shocked at how much better the car feels on a good ethanol blend vs pump gas, it feels like an entirely different car in every way including faster turbo response and torque and everything.

so if it were me I'd get an EQT COBB tune so you can get advanced traction control and better DSG programming and just a better tune, and then also put in HPFP to run E50 tune and i bet you will be amazed at how much better and faster the car is

Last edited:

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I think with every platform there is a horsepower point where the cost goes way up and reliability goes way down for only small increments in additional horsepower. In C6 corvette that point seems to be about 700whp, in GTR world it looks like ~650whp etc.... and in the Mk7 world that point looks like ~450-475whp to me so I would not want to push my car much above the 450whp mark personally just because the additional 25-30whp is not worth the 5x more problems and cost

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I'm spamming this thread but my car picked up like 65-70whp going from 91 octane pump gas to E50 tune and the faster spool is epic. transforms the car. driving around on pump gas makes my penis feel small, and the sun outside dims a bit and the clouds seem darker. etc. E50 is the opposite of that.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
Sadly, there is no e85 locally here where i live so thats outta the question. otherwise i'd be doing that instead of looking for a bigger turbo option. Only 93 is available around here. I was considering just going full blown eqt turbo and tune but like i stated im not sure exactly what else i would need to do so. Not well informed on big turbo upgrades

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm spamming this thread but my car picked up like 65-70whp going from 91 octane pump gas to E50 tune and the faster spool is epic. transforms the car. driving around on pump gas makes my penis feel small, and the sun outside dims a bit and the clouds seem darker. etc. E50 is the opposite of that.

My car on E20-30 feels like it's got at least 30 more HP over my 93 tune. Even with the colder denser air, my E tune with the same boost levels in summer temps feels stronger than 93 at winter temps.