GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Ok, here we go...........maybe a really dumb question to you guys but.........has anyone seen vehicles with all these little 'fins' on their roofs? It's like 8 or 9 small fins across the top of the roof near the rear. What are these things for>?? Is it just some 'cool' thing, a look, or is it doing something constructive? I've seen a few of these lately, what the heck are they for? Old guy here.........;)

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Ok, here we go...........maybe a really dumb question to you guys but.........has anyone seen vehicles with all these little 'fins' on their roofs? It's like 8 or 9 small fins across the top of the roof near the rear. What are these things for>?? Is it just some 'cool' thing, a look, or is it doing something constructive? I've seen a few of these lately, what the heck are they for? Old guy here.........;)
Vortex generators - they're for aerodynamics

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/vortex-generators-how-do-they-work/

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys, appreciate the info! I liked the article you attached, UglyBastard, thanks.

I'm wondering how long those vortex generators will last for people that go thru automatic car washes, lol....

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Anyone see the new Spulen aluminum clutch line bleeder block? I looked at putting the ECS one in but it had a bunch of bad reviews. Wonder how this one fairs?

torga

Autocross Champion
Anyone see the new Spulen aluminum clutch line bleeder block? I looked at putting the ECS one in but it had a bunch of bad reviews. Wonder how this one fairs?
Where are the bad reviews? I haven't seen any online and no one has reviewed it on ECS. I saw the Spulen one and was curious about it. The one Spulen part on my car has been flawless, but it's just a pair of 4-ply hoses.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion

Blue K04

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the ECS bleeder block and it works well for me. When I bled the clutch line after install there were a bunch of black bits in the fluid that used to be OEM rubber o-rings.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Anyone else running a H&R front swaybar in an area where it gets cold? It's 9 degrees here today (Fahrenheit) and there was a lot of noise coming from my front end. At first it sounded like clunking but then I noticed it was more like a squeaky couch. I put on a lot of lube/grease on the bushings despite the claim that they didn't need any but i'm thinking it may still be them and wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

torga

Autocross Champion
Idk, seems like the only complaints came from an initial run of these blocks, almost 6 years ago. Since then, the block has been re-machined for better clearance and better sealed against leaks. That's what I got from these links. Mostly people were complaining about the OEM block here.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Idk, seems like the only complaints came from an initial run of these blocks, almost 6 years ago. Since then, the block has been re-machined for better clearance and better sealed against leaks. That's what I got from these links. Mostly people were complaining about the OEM block here.
Yea. I thought that's likely but I haven't seen much to back that up.

Bullit813

Hey. New here. Purchased a mk6 with cold air intake, Intercooler ,stage 2 tuned and exhaust. For my 17 yr old son. It’s his first car. (I know. But I kinda wanted it too) is there any way to adjust rev limiter down to 3000. Need the kid to learn respect before he gets the full package.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Hey. New here. Purchased a mk6 with cold air intake, Intercooler ,stage 2 tuned and exhaust. For my 17 yr old son. It’s his first car. (I know. But I kinda wanted it too) is there any way to adjust rev limiter down to 3000. Need the kid to learn respect before he gets the full package.
you'll need a custom tune to do that. what company tuned this car?

Edit: get a cobb AP tuner and detune the car to stage 1+... still some power just not too crazy. and as a reward or whatever, for weekend uses, flash the car to stage 2. keep the thing under lock and key.

Last edited: