GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strut tower cut-off for camber adjustment

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
People have told me the rubber puck compresses over time and require re-tightening otherwise it starts to rattle. I had initially thought the nut backs off (hence the serrated Nordlock washer) but if it is the rubber that compresses, the washer does nothing.

Basically since the nut needs snugging down periodically, this just allows easier access without dropping the strut.

Interesting. I was thinking that the puck's washer in the center was the only thing that contacted the shock rod/nut. I was thinking that my noise was possibly from the cover for that puck coming loose overtime, but I haven't had a chance to pull the front suspension apart to look. If the puck did compress, it should only move inside of the housing based on 034's diagrams on their site.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting. I was thinking that the puck's washer in the center was the only thing that contacted the shock rod/nut. I was thinking that my noise was possibly from the cover for that puck coming loose overtime, but I haven't had a chance to pull the front suspension apart to look. If the puck did compress, it should only move inside of the housing based on 034's diagrams on their site.

It's the bearing surface of the strut nut that changes height, not the puck.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Odd, figured that was all metal and nothing to compress there. I'll have to take a look at that. I mean I can't tighten it anyway without unbolting everything, unless I feel like taking a 2" holesaw to the car :p

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Odd, figured that was all metal and nothing to compress there. I'll have to take a look at that. I mean I can't tighten it anyway without unbolting everything, unless I feel like taking a 2" holesaw to the car :p

There's a metal washer molded into the rubber for the 034. 2" hole is great, looks factory.

Last edited:

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
There's a metal washer molded into the rubber for the 034. 2" hole is great, looks factory.

Do you happen to have a link for those plastic caps?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Why did you need to retighten the upper strut nut after it was assembled? I am getting some noise up front that I believe is from that area, but I didn't think it was that nut.

My shop thinks some of the noise is that center nut hitting the metal strut tower covers. Add one more thing to the list of poor quality observations on the GC products. The plates arent very adjustable from the top and you definitely need to cut the towers to adjust them properly without dropping them.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
My shop thinks some of the noise is that center nut hitting the metal strut tower covers. Add one more thing to the list of poor quality observations on the GC products. The plates arent very adjustable from the top and you definitely need to cut the towers to adjust them properly without dropping them.
My question was about 034 mounts, not GC, not having issues with that but making contact but I've never heard of that but loosening or needed to be tightened over time.

I really think we all understand how unsatisfied you are with your purchase at this point.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
My question was about 034 mounts, not GC, not having issues with that but making contact but I've never heard of that but loosening or needed to be tightened over time.

I really think we all understand how unsatisfied you are with your purchase at this point.

One would assume if the nut on GC would make contact the 034 could also make contact since the clearances aren't that different

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
One would assume if the nut on GC would make contact the 034 could also make contact since the clearances aren't that different
There's a lot of variation because of bearing/insert/assembly thickness. The 034 mount takes up the same space as the OEM mount. I can snap a pic of mine if you need. No one with 034 mounts is having the issue you described afaik.

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
I am working on selecting a camber plate for my TTRS and running into similar issues. I have had 034, Vorshlag and Ground Control plates. The GC plates are the only ones that will require me to modify me shock tower to clear the top nut. Have any of you encountered issues after cutting the tower to make room for the nut?

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I am working on selecting a camber plate for my TTRS and running into similar issues. I have had 034, Vorshlag and Ground Control plates. The GC plates are the only ones that will require me to modify me shock tower to clear the top nut. Have any of you encountered issues after cutting the tower to make room for the nut?

They fit just fine without cutting(mk7 not ttrs). They make so much freaking noise tho so enjoy it.

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
I know the camber plates fit fine as I have been test fitting. The catch is that the GC plates recover about an inch of travel moving the shock up and higher in the shock tower. That threaded portion of my shock shaft is protruding from the top nut of the camber plate. That will require me to open up the shock tower. I'm curious if any of you have experienced any side effects from opening it up. As for noise, I really didn't notice much (5%) with the Vorshlag plates and they were metal on metal as well. I don't expect to have any additional NVH with the GC.

Here is an example of what is required when running coilovers that protrude the opening. This is an RS3 shock tower that was punched out using a conduit punch.

I know I could space the shock down but that eats up precious bump travel.

The reason I'm asking about strength is because a fellow TTRS driver hooked the backside of a track corner curb and that caused his suspension to push his 034 camber plates up into the tower hard enough to damage them. I have to wonder if those domes provide any rigidity or strength and how this impact would have been different if the towers were modded. If you look closely at the second pic, the shock was enough to cause paint to flake off the dome!

Last edited:

EVILAUDI

Ready to race!
For the record I am running the VW branded Ohlins DFVs on my TTRS but simply requested custom valving. There are some other grassroots modifications required to get max travel but they perform wonderfully on track. I'm on this site because there are very few TTRS owners that actually race or modify their car.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I know the camber plates fit fine as I have been test fitting. The catch is that the GC plates recover about an inch of travel moving the shock up and higher in the shock tower. That threaded portion of my shock shaft is protruding from the top nut of the camber plate. That will require me to open up the shock tower. I'm curious if any of you have experienced any side effects from opening it up.

I replaced my prototype GC plates with the production version when I had Ohlins installed last September and that is the one aspect of the new plates that I do not like. My shop enlarged the center hole in the strut tower to accommodate the top nut. I've put about 5000 road miles and 6 HPDE days on the car since the change. I don't see any signs of mushrooming or cracks in the strut towers and that is something I will keep an eye on (which i would do anyway). Enlarging the hole makes my car technically illegal for SCCA's STU solo class but I'll cross that bridge if or when I have to.

IMAG7612.jpg