GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought my first GTI today.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Found this from another post. Sounds promising if you're someone with an extended warranty as long as you don't bring it to a VW dealership it sounds like the company providing the warranty would never find out about a tune.

Extended warranty work on a modified car.

The way extended warranty is supposed to work is that you bring your car in with a concern, you approve a diagnosis charge, the dealer will prepare an estimate for the repairs and submit the claim to your extended warranty. If the bad part is not covered you will be charged that diagnostic fee you approved, if it is a covered item the warranty company will pay it and you don't have to. If it's a relatively cheap repair chances are they will approve it over the phone. If it's more costly, or if your claim is chosen at random, they will send an inspector out to check out the car with the tech. Claims Adjusters are far from experts but basically the tech shows them what’s wrong, what the faults are, what diagnosis was done to lead the tech to call part X faulty, drive with the tech to show the concern can be duplicated and is legitimate, etc. The adjuster will approve or deny the claim. They will not know if the car is chipped, they don't have access to that information unless the dealer specifically tells them it's chipped but the inspectors ALWAYS take pictures and documents the car. A flash is invisible but they definitely take note of mods they can see. I've personally seen an inspector measure fender to ground height to make sure the suspension wasn't modified. Mods you can see will get claims denied quicker with extended warranty than they typically would with the manufacturer warranty.

Another thing to consider is not all extended warranties will cover the full cost of the repairs. Whether you like it or not customer pay repair times are generally warranty time multiplied by 1.5 (or Alldata times etc, which will be similar), but some extended warranties will only pay factory warranty labor times. If you bought the the warranty from the dealership doing the work they will usually honor what the extended warranty that they sold you is willing to pay. If you bought an extended warranty elsewhere and they won't pay out customer pay prices for repairs, you can expect to have to cover the cost difference. Customers tend to get upset about having to pay out of pocket when they have an extended warranty but the business is not going to lose profit because you bought a cheap warranty from somewhere else. A lot of people feel it's unjust but if you think about it logically, it makes perfect sense. Let's say you have a 3 year old GTI and you total it. For simplicity let's say your insurance company cuts you check for $20K. If you walk into a VW dealer and you want to replace it with new GTI they aren't going to give it to you a brand new for $20K just because that's all your insurance company covered on your old one... you would take that coverage payout and you would pay the difference, this is no different.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
OP, whose warranty is it, if you don't mind me asking? I never heard of an "extended warranty" company that will pay for struts.

Those who are flash tuned and have VCDS, what does VCDS show as your flash date?

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
From what I have been reading it sounds like the Eurodyne tune doesn’t leave a trace after its flashed back to stock and you give the ecu time to reset by driving like 50 miles. Maybe someone who has one can chime in on this. But with my extended warranty I don’t think the dealership I bought my car from would be checking the ecu since its not a VW dealer anyways. But I would still rather be safe if something were to happen.

VW's factory warranty is stringent about tuning, and when a car goes to a dealer for warranty repairs, once the claim is approved, the dealer is essentially covering the cost of the repair themselves, until they are reimbursed by VW for the repair. If, however, the claim is later rejected because they didn't follow correct procedure (e.g. no diagnostic reports), VW will reject the claim, and the dealer is left holding the bag for however much your repair was.

In the case of aftermarket warranties, dealer files a claim, warranty company sees if it's a covered part, and they either approve or deny the claim based on if the faulty part is covered under the plan you bought. In this situation, the dealer has nothing to gain by revealing that your car is tuned or modified, because the warranty company won't bother to verify it in most cases. Yes, they might send an inspector, but in the years that I worked in service, I never saw one, not even for a transmission or engine failure. In most cases, aftermarket warranties pay more per repair than the factory warranty for labor (close if not equal to customer-pay rates), and they pay more for parts as well. There might be a little extra work for them, but it's nothing that can't be forgiven by bringing them a box of donuts when you drop your car off.

Out of curiosity: if you have an aftermarket warranty, why wouldn't you take your car to a VW dealer? I wouldn't trust a Chevy or Toyota dealer to fix it properly.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
OP, whose warranty is it, if you don't mind me asking? I never heard of an "extended warranty" company that will pay for struts.

Those who are flash tuned and have VCDS, what does VCDS show as your flash date?
Ill have to check the paperwork for the name. The dealer told me they are one of the only companies to offer the warranty with suspension.

VW's factory warranty is stringent about tuning, and when a car goes to a dealer for warranty repairs, once the claim is approved, the dealer is essentially covering the cost of the repair themselves, until they are reimbursed by VW for the repair. If, however, the claim is later rejected because they didn't follow correct procedure (e.g. no diagnostic reports), VW will reject the claim, and the dealer is left holding the bag for however much your repair was.

In the case of aftermarket warranties, dealer files a claim, warranty company sees if it's a covered part, and they either approve or deny the claim based on if the faulty part is covered under the plan you bought. In this situation, the dealer has nothing to gain by revealing that your car is tuned or modified, because the warranty company won't bother to verify it in most cases. Yes, they might send an inspector, but in the years that I worked in service, I never saw one, not even for a transmission or engine failure. In most cases, aftermarket warranties pay more per repair than the factory warranty for labor (close if not equal to customer-pay rates), and they pay more for parts as well. There might be a little extra work for them, but it's nothing that can't be forgiven by bringing them a box of donuts when you drop your car off.

Out of curiosity: if you have an aftermarket warranty, why wouldn't you take your car to a VW dealer? I wouldn't trust a Chevy or Toyota dealer to fix it properly.
I may take it to VW but wouldn't I run the risk of them scanning it? And the dealer I bought the car from waives my deductible if i bring it there. Now this is all hypothetical because it would be nice if I never have any major issues.
Ive decided I may be going with a cobb instead and usung a tune from MA perfomance.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I may take it to VW but wouldn't I run the risk of them scanning it? And the dealer I bought the car from waives my deductible if i bring it there. Now this is all hypothetical because it would be nice if I never have any major issues.
Ive decided I may be going with a cobb instead and usung a tune from MA perfomance.

Right, but once the factory warranty is up, who cares what they find when they scan it? Your aftermarket warranty pays for repairs as if they were paid for by the customer, and outside of the warranty, VW has nothing to say in the matter. Dealers are independently owned and operated, and like any other business, their primary interest is generating profits. As for the deductible waiver, $50 or $100 is small price to pay for expertise.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Right, but once the factory warranty is up, who cares what they find when they scan it? Your aftermarket warranty pays for repairs as if they were paid for by the customer, and outside of the warranty, VW has nothing to say in the matter. Dealers are independently owned and operated, and like any other business, their primary interest is generating profits. As for the deductible waiver, $50 or $100 is small price to pay for expertise.
I agree but I do still have 30 months or 42k left on the factory powertrain warranty. So if it was within that window it could be an issue. Outside of that i would definitely rather have VW work on it. I'm just hoping its like my last car that I just sold and had 122k and I never did anything but oil changes, tires, and brakes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ill have to check the paperwork for the name. The dealer told me they are one of the only companies to offer the warranty with suspension.

Not saying it's not true, but the finance people at used car dealerships pushing extended warranties aren't known to be the most honest people around. Usually, they take a "Tell you anything you want to hear" approach to get you to sign up for that warranty. That's where the bulk of their money comes from.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Not saying it's not true, but the finance people at used car dealerships pushing extended warranties aren't known to be the most honest people around. Usually, they take a "Tell you anything you want to hear" approach to get you to sign up for that warranty. That's where the bulk of their money comes from.
Completely agree. I used to be a car salesman so I know the trickery. I did read over the bulk of this warranty and took a peek at the list of 500 different parts it covers. The main thing was engine, transmission, suspension, turbo, and all electronics. Basically anything that wasn't your normal wear item like brakes and tires.

This guy may have been lying but he doesnt work on commission and just gets a flat fee for selling the warranty so he gave it to me for the lowest he was allowed which was $1500. It typically goes for $2500+. We talked alot about how I was in the business so i feel like he gave me a good deal. Either way I'm happy with what I paid and for what it covers.

And I just made the big purchase.....
DKM stage 3 twin disc clutch and flywheel kit. Went with twin disc because its more streetable while giving me the best hold. I know its overkill but it should be a long time before I'll need to replace it because the power I'm going to have doesn't come anywhere near the limit of this clutch and I dont plan to abuse it. This is my daily driver a whole 4 miles each way to work.
Cobb accessport V3 that comes with free stage 1 tune from MA Performance.
MA Performance Stage 2 kit which is their intake and downpipe and includes their stage 2 tune that was made to pair with those 2 parts. For the downpipe I went with the GESI Cat that they have before the O2 sensor. All the reviews I read said it doesnt throw a CEL on a stock tune for when I want to flash back to stock for service.
Also bought Nitto 555 G2' s.
This is pretty much everything I plan on doing for now except a rear sway bar......you know....untill I think the car is boring again haha.

Honesty I drive like a grandma on the streets.....at 35 I know the tickets just aren't worth it but I still wanted a fast and fun car for occasional track day or whatever. Maybe some quick pulls on secluded backroads. I was time to get back into a real car after playing with my racing simulator the last couple years.

Attachments

• 1117190315a.jpg
    1117190315a.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 89

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
For anyone interested this is what is covered under my extended warranty.
I have Plan B Exclusionary Coverage.
Also under the section what is not covered it does say "Any car that is used for competitive racing." But it does not say anything about a car that has been tuned or modified. You can modify a car and not race it so I think wording is important here.

Attachments

• 0115201736.jpg
    0115201736.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Found this from another post. Sounds promising if you're someone with an extended warranty as long as you don't bring it to a VW dealership it sounds like the company providing the warranty would never find out about a tune.

Extended warranty work on a modified car.

The way extended warranty is supposed to work is that you bring your car in with a concern, you approve a diagnosis charge, the dealer will prepare an estimate for the repairs and submit the claim to your extended warranty. If the bad part is not covered you will be charged that diagnostic fee you approved, if it is a covered item the warranty company will pay it and you don't have to. If it's a relatively cheap repair chances are they will approve it over the phone. If it's more costly, or if your claim is chosen at random, they will send an inspector out to check out the car with the tech. Claims Adjusters are far from experts but basically the tech shows them what’s wrong, what the faults are, what diagnosis was done to lead the tech to call part X faulty, drive with the tech to show the concern can be duplicated and is legitimate, etc. The adjuster will approve or deny the claim. They will not know if the car is chipped, they don't have access to that information unless the dealer specifically tells them it's chipped but the inspectors ALWAYS take pictures and documents the car. A flash is invisible but they definitely take note of mods they can see. I've personally seen an inspector measure fender to ground height to make sure the suspension wasn't modified. Mods you can see will get claims denied quicker with extended warranty than they typically would with the manufacturer warranty.

Another thing to consider is not all extended warranties will cover the full cost of the repairs. Whether you like it or not customer pay repair times are generally warranty time multiplied by 1.5 (or Alldata times etc, which will be similar), but some extended warranties will only pay factory warranty labor times. If you bought the the warranty from the dealership doing the work they will usually honor what the extended warranty that they sold you is willing to pay. If you bought an extended warranty elsewhere and they won't pay out customer pay prices for repairs, you can expect to have to cover the cost difference. Customers tend to get upset about having to pay out of pocket when they have an extended warranty but the business is not going to lose profit because you bought a cheap warranty from somewhere else. A lot of people feel it's unjust but if you think about it logically, it makes perfect sense. Let's say you have a 3 year old GTI and you total it. For simplicity let's say your insurance company cuts you check for $20K. If you walk into a VW dealer and you want to replace it with new GTI they aren't going to give it to you a brand new for $20K just because that's all your insurance company covered on your old one... you would take that coverage payout and you would pay the difference, this is no different.

When you say the "dealer will prepare an estimate" are you talking about the VW dealer? If so they will likely scan your car and pass along the results to the extended warranty company.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
When you say the "dealer will prepare an estimate" are you talking about the VW dealer? If so they will likely scan your car and pass along the results to the extended warranty company.
I'm not sure I didn't write that. Just found it on another post. But I think earlier in the post he said it's not in the dealers best interest to disclose that information to an insurance company that provides the extended warranty because the dealer wants to get paid to do the work. The only reason VW dealers even pass that info along to VWoA is because it's something that happens automatically when a car is scanned. Its not that dealer that gets you TD1 it's actually VWoA

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
Just picked up a 2017 Sport 6spd MT with 18,300 miles on it. Loving it so far! Grabbed an aftermarket bumper to bumper extended warranty good up to 6 years or 75k that even covers suspension.

Planning on doing a Clutch, Down Pipe, Eurodyne Tune, and possibly Catback and Intake for a better sound but I‘ll decide on those later.

From what I have been reading it sounds like the Eurodyne tune doesn’t leave a trace after its flashed back to stock and you give the ecu time to reset by driving like 50 miles. Maybe someone who has one can chime in on this. But with my extended warranty I don’t think the dealership I bought my car from would be checking the ecu since its not a VW dealer anyways. But I would still rather be safe if something were to happen.

Congrats, an actual white whale :D
You should enjoy stock set up at least for a short while, the Sport trim has everything you'd need (except the tires :D), then do piggy back (JB4) tune to keep your warranty. I am sure you'd figure out what you need/want afterwards.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
Congrats, an actual white whale :D
You should enjoy stock set up at least for a short while, the Sport trim has everything you'd need (except the tires :D), then do piggy back (JB4) tune to keep your warranty. I am sure you'd figure out what you need/want afterwards.
Thanks! I have already ordered parts and tune for stage 2. Ordered a clutch as well but I'm canceling that while I do more research to figure out which one I want. I got the dks twin disc but spent hours reading horror stories about crank walk that people believe is related to that clutch.

So now I'm trying to decide on a new clutch that will hold alot of power, not be too loud, and also something that will last alot of miles. The car wont be beat on but i don't want to have to do another clutch in 30k.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks! I have already ordered parts and tune for stage 2. Ordered a clutch as well but I'm canceling that while I do more research to figure out which one I want. I got the dks twin disc but spent hours reading horror stories about crank walk that people believe is related to that clutch.

So now I'm trying to decide on a new clutch that will hold alot of power, not be too loud, and also something that will last alot of miles. The car wont be beat on but i don't want to have to do another clutch in 30k.

South Bend Stage 3 Daily seems to meet those requirements. It's been treating me well and isn't loud at all.

Rigle

Go Kart Newbie
South Bend Stage 3 Daily seems to meet those requirements. It's been treating me well and isn't loud at all.
I'm actually considering. The southbend stage 3 endurance. I'm trying to find more info but I heard the Kevlar disc would get longer life.